Thread: transition adding on Mac premier 6.5

Default transition adding on Mac premier 6.5

I've waded through the forums and used the quick tutorial (http://www.marcpeters.co.uk/adobe.html) but I can't seem to figure out wha tI am doing wrong.

I have 2 clips and I want to add a dissolve between them. I try dragging the dissolve icon over the clips, but it won't "stick" anywhere. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

not a 6.5 user and not a MAc user either but...

try overlapping the clips and dragging and dropping the effect onto the overlapped part.

thanks for the quick response, but I have tried that already.

Pablogott, the problem you are having here is to do with leeway (sometimes known as heads and tails), or in your case, lack of it.

Say you have two clips, each of length 10 seconds. When you place them on your timeline you will usually have created a mark-in and mark-out point in those clips. This is the bit of the clip you actually want to see. For arguments sake let's say that the mark-in to mark-out on each clip is 8 seconds in duration. Therefore let's assume that your mark-in starts one second in from the start of the clip and your mark-out is one second in from the end of the clip.

Now, when you want to apply a transition between the clips, such as a cross-dissolve you will have 2 seconds of leeway to play with (one second from the end of the first clip on the timeline, and one second from the beginning of the second clip on the timeline). If you want to apply a cross-dissolve (or any other transition) of longer than 2 seconds then it won't work because it hasn't physically got enough media to play with.

In your instance I would think that perhaps the clips you are trying to apply the transition to are the whole clips, in other words you haven't marked in or out in each clip and generated some leeway.

Sorry if my explanation is a bit confusing. Just ask if there is anything you don't understand.

This textual diagram might help (open in notepad in order for it to all line up correctly).

[EDIT: Attached file]
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid