Thread: Camcorder to PC

Default Camcorder to PC

Hi
    Can someone tell me if it is possible to put my old videocam footage straight onto my PC just using cables?
    The Camcorder is a Panasonic NV-S6 VHS-C. It has video out sockets Yellow White and Red and an edit socket! Could I buy a cheap lead say from the cam to PC and with out all the expensive software packages that are around?
    Kind regards
    EV

No you will need some sort of breakout box with analogue video connections and USB to connect it to the computer. Or an internal PCI card with analogue sockets on it. The quality from an old VHS-C cam will not be good and you will need an up to date computer to do the capturing and changing the analogue video to digital. You have Windows Movie Maker on your computer if it is a Windows PC or iMovie on a Mac and they are free.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    No you will need some sort of breakout box with analogue video connections and USB to connect it to the computer. Or an internal PCI card with analogue sockets on it. The quality from an old VHS-C cam will not be good and you will need an up to date computer to do the capturing and changing the analogue video to digital. You have Windows Movie Maker on your computer if it is a Windows PC or iMovie on a Mac and they are free.
    Hi
    Sorry its taken so long to reply (been away on hols) thanks for the info. Do you know anything about Pinnacle software/hardware. I seem to be getting conflicting advise from shops as to what I need. My PC does not have video capure.
    Kind regards
    EV

Hi EV

I'm pretty much a newbie to all this stuff, and am trying to achieve something similar, by capturing some old VHS footage.

I bought the Pinnacle Dazzle DVD Recorder, which was a pretty cheap option at about 25. It was fine for capturing footage straight from a Sky + box, however, capturing from the VCR was a bit of a let down. The image quality was not very good. Certainly nowhere near that of the original VHS recording!
    This version of the Dazzle product (they do others) came with Pinnacle Studio version 10.5, however it is only a 30 day demo. I tried it for the brief demo period by capturing the (VHS) footage to an AVI file. I then used Studio to do some minor editing, before outputing to DVD. The results were truly awful. The image which was grainy before was now even worse!

I'd used an earlier version of Pinnacle Studio before (9.4 I think), and had marginal success with some footage from a digital camcorder. The camcorder is an old one though, and not very high resolution, so not really a true test.

I've still got to find time to test Pinnacle Studio 10.5 again. The last time I tried to install it to a Windows Vista PC, and it refused, saying that version of Windows was not compatible. I definitely won't be paying for the latest version of Pinnacle Studio, based on my findings so far.

I recently purchased a Canopus ADVC-55 analogue to digital video converter. The results from my VCR still aren't as good as I'd hoped for, but I'm looking into a solution for that.

I'll keep you posted.

Regards

Steve T