Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capturing VHS with Premiere Elements version 3

Default Capturing VHS with Premiere Elements version 3

Hi there,

I am looking for a solution to copying old VHS video tapes to my computer.

I want to be able to edit them in Premiere Elements version 3. Nothing too fancy at this stage, just deleting certain parts and adding a menu system.

What I am currently doing is copying the VHS tape to the hard disk of my DVD recorder, transferring this to DVD+RW, and then importing this footage into Elements for editing and subsequently burning to DVD.

I'm not sure if I am losing quality doing this (I suspect I may be) but I also have another problem with this method.

The DVD that I create from the hard disk in my DVD recorder can have several VOB files that get imported into Elements. Where the footage continues from the end of one VOB file to the beginning of the next, I loose a few seconds of sound. With some projects this is a real nuisance and I would like to find a better way.

So:

Would a better quality DVD/hard disc recorder still loose the sound at the end of the files?

Or would I be better using a separate piece of kit such as this or this or this.

I have got a capture card (Hauppauge Win TV-Express) in my computer but I just can't seem to get it to work when I connect a VHS player to it.

Any and all suggestions more than welcome.

regards

Brian

http://muvipix.com Everything you wanted to know about Premiere Elements and more

i've captured many vhs before. what i do is connect the vhs player to a camcorder via standard av cable and the camcorder to the pc via firewire.
    The child has grown
    The dream is gone

Hi Sami,

That's a good idea and one suggested by a friend who does a lot of video. Unfortunately my camera doesn't support such a function.

I bought this which arrived today. It's dead simple to set up and the video quality seems quite good too. Problem is I am not recording any sound - anyone got any ideas.

When I am playing the video and recording I can monitor the sound and it's okay, but when I play the video back there is no sound. any idea what I need to do?

I really hope I can make this work as it's a great inexpensive solution to this problem.

regards

Brian

well to tell you the truth, i don't really trust usb when it comes to video capturing, i don't believe it could support such a high streaming rate. it never worked with me.
    but anyways, could u give some more details:
    - what kind of cables r u using?
    - with which software r u capturing?
    The child has grown
    The dream is gone

Hi Sami,

I am just using a s-video cable going from video out on my VHS player and plugged into the s-video socket on the device. Sound goes from audio out on the VHS player into my sound card, and that is where I am having problems.

In my last post I said I was not recording any sound although it I can monitor it as I am recording. This is with the audio lead plugged into the line in on my sound card.

I fiddled about a bit last night and finished up plugging the audio lead into the mic in on the sound card. With this setup I could not monitor the sound while recording but it did record the sound which was evident when I played the video back.

This is not ideal as I would obviously like to monitor the sound being recorded, any ideas?

As for USB and video, I have heard people say you need firewire for video work and indeed my cameras both connect this way. Having tried this device, I am quite happy with the quality of the video, but - it is early days, we shall see.

The software I am using to capture is that supplied with the device. It is called GrabBeeX light. It's all I've got and it seems to work okay although it is very simple and perhaps limited, this may not be a bad thing for a novice like me

It records to mpeg and I then load that mpeg file into Adobe Premiere Elements v3 to add titles etc. seems to work.

regards

Brian

did u try plugging the audio cable into the device instead of the sound card?
    The child has grown
    The dream is gone

No, it doesn't have an audio input. You have to use the sound card.

regards

Brian

strange !!!
    the link u posted before shows a device with s-video, video and audio inputs :S
    The child has grown
    The dream is gone

Strange isn't in it Sami - I think I'm losing it

I was looking at several devices the other day and must have got confused as I actually ordered this but thought I had ordered the EZ Grabber.

I've never done anything like that before - honest. I even paid more money for the wrong device

Not sure what to do now as I phoned them to see if they have a solution for the sound problem and they haven't replied yet. Maybe I'll give them a bit more time.

Just a thought, do I have a cooling off period when ordering over the Internet like this? Could I send the item back as wrongly ordered or something or is that being unfair?

Would love to get some input on this,

regards

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast