Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaking image

Default Shaking image

Hi Folks
    Wonder if anyone can help? My son is getting into Camcording and got himself an older Panasonic NV-GS17 which seems to take good footage when it appears on the camera screen. However when viewed through the computer/TV the image is a lot more shaky and slightly out of sinc with the voices!!!!!!!! Any help offered would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

P.

Has the Panasonic NV-GS17 been owned by someone else who sold it to your son? What type of tv are you playing back the video on? When you say it appears to take good footage on the camera screen is that during the recording or when the video is being played back?

Yes your right, someone sold it to my son and he bought new mini DV tapes for using. Everything was ok until, as I mentioned. We watched it back on the TV and even viewing it through the USB connection on to my laptop the image is still slightly shaky and slightly out of sinc with the voices. Any suggestions will help?

Sorry, I also forgot to mention that yes, during filming and playback on the camera screen everything is fine.
    Thanks

The shakiness I suspect could be something to do with the image stabalisation. My old Sony DCR PC100 looks pretty OK on the replay but when I export the video I get more camera shake... Use a tripod when going more extreme on the zoom.

Audio sync is a different matter.

Is this just playing on the camcorder via a video lead, or is this after capture to a computer?

Instead of using a USB cable to connect the camcorder to the computer use a Firewire cable instead. Also the sockets on the camcorder may be loose or damaged and that is why the picture is bad, as you say it plays back alright on the camcorder screen but nowhere else. Using a USB cable might be the reason why the pictures and sound are out of sync, it could also be due to your computer not having the correct spec.

Blog Entries

Video looks shakier when viewed in a tv screen.

When you shoot video you are either concentrating on a tiny screen or looking through a v finder. Either way this is a small image and you are likely to be directing your attenbtion to the subject. You are likely to notice shake less.

On a bigger screen you will take in the whole pic and see the shake more.

Camera shake looks much worse on larger screen.

Thumbs up

Great advice.
    The general consensus is that it may be caused by because I'm using a normal usb cable to view footage on the comuter and obviously this will be compounded when I record onto disc on computer, which I'll correct. So again thankyou all for your help and if I may beg one last piece of advice (well two!). What type of firewire is recommended for this type of transfer onto computer hard drive ? and what is the best software to use for transfer and editing, currently I'm using Nero Smartstart.

You can pick up an ordinary Firewire cable in any good computer supply shop. It needs a four pin socket on one end and a six pin socket on the other end but just check the connection on your computer to make sure you have the right size. If it isn't a flat connector (the 6 pin type) then it will be the smaller 4 pin type, both types of cable are on sale. That's all you need to connect the camcorder to the computer, on the software side, even Windows Movie Maker will do the video capturing for you.

It's limited in what it can do but you will be able to capture your video, edit it, add music, titles and transitions between scenes. If you are feeling more ambitious then download a 30 day trial of Adobe Premiere Elements 3 or 4 (version 4 has had a few problems with it - so it might be better to get version 3). This is much more advanced but still easy enough for a beginner to get started on. It will also allow you to run off dvd's that you can playback on your home dvd player, something Windows Movie Maker can't do.

Thumbs up

Thanks to all,
    I'll go out and pick up a firewire cable. Please accept may gratitude for all advice given. It's good to know there is still some genuine experts out there who know what their talking about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast