Thread: Correcting the mess caused by the camera's auto-exposure feture

Default Correcting the mess caused by the camera's auto-exposure feture

Hi guys,

How to use AfterEffects to correect the Mega-Annoying flicker, produced by the auto-exposure of a camera?
    I read that it is possible via the track & stabilize function but the article didn't say anything more than that.

This is what the article says:

AE's improved motion tracker will undoubtedly find myriad uses: to stabilize action footage shot with a long lens; level a seasick camera bobbing at sea; or remove the annoying breathing of the camera iris in footage recorded with auto-exposure. Previously, this footage often had to be discarded. But thanks to AE 6, the white point in a scene can now be tracked and continuously corrected to offset the gyrations of a camera iris attempting to render the world and everything in it as 18% gray.
    I don't really understand how is the track & stabilize function used to stabilize the flicker.
    Any help?

Any other methods for eliminating the flicker?

Thanks!

PS:
    I realize that it is good to shoot with the auto-exposure turned off. It is just that my "camera" is a cheapo HD Aiptek and you can't switch to manual exposure with those.
    They don't have an exposure lock too.

Last edited by Bulldozer; 08-06-2008 at 06:31 PM.

i didn't really understand what you're saying... but if i got it right, u should use premiere pro.
    just put the clip in the timeline, select and go to effects control window: set the anti-flicker to 1..
    The child has grown
    The dream is gone

^ I need something that removes the changes of luminosity in a video, shot with a camera with auto-exposure turned on.

the easiest way to do this, time consuming though, is to do it manually using brightness control and keyframes.
    The child has grown
    The dream is gone

Sounds like a lot of work, especially if you have to manipulate hours of footage.
    And with my almost non-existent editing skills, I am not sure about the outcome too.

okay then, here's what u should do:
    - first u should know that any "auto" effect is not trustworthy...
    - in after effects, u can use the auto levels (color correction), but it's not very good if ur video is highly contrasted, u could give it a try...
    - a better way (more time consuming for sure) is to use the color stabilizer effect (color correction): u can keep tracking ur white and black point, this is more useful than the auto stuff... but still not perfect and complicated...
    - what i think is that u really should do it manually, it won't take much work once u get used to it...
    good luck...
    The child has grown
    The dream is gone

Thanks, I will try to figure out how to track the black or the white in a video.
    I believe this was the thing described in the article I quoted in my first post.
    I needed more details about how it is done.