Thread: 8mm conversion to Digital Format

Default 8mm conversion to Digital Format

Hi, I've just joined and wondered if anyone could help go about converting my 8mm cassettes to a digital format. I have over 50 cassettes so no doubt this won't be a short task, unless it can be achieved not in real time. I have an upto date PC, running XP Pro with DVD burner etc.. but no video capture device. I have two 8mm camcorders both are functional and I have all the interconnection leads.

Rather than trial and error if someone can set me on the road to a succesful conclusion I would be most grateful.

Has anyone got any feedback on the TV Stick EZ Grabber (TV EZG01)? This looks a simple solution.

Thanks

Blog Entries

Places do offer this service. I doubt anyoe one here would offer for free if they could do it. Suggest you post in our section for paid jobs. Or I can move thread if you like...

50 tapes, aint going to be pin money...

Default 8mm Coversion to Digital

I was hoping to attempt the conversion under my own steam. The cost to out source would be a tidy sum. Someone must have gone through this process with success. I've seen many threads on this topic but with no real definitive conclusion.

Can someone please help!

Blog Entries

Ah, I see, my bad.

If i were doing this i would use another camera to convert the tapes to DV - much less hassle than conversion by PC.

You will need to get a DV cam with a video IN. Quality of the camera is irrieleveant so long as it has the IN function.

The dog cam company have a page of DV vdeio IN cams.

Any old canon cam with an ' i ' at the end of the name will do it too.

how did you get on jonwood ???

i am also looking at converting my old 8mm tapes into digital format. my problem is that my old analogue camcorder (sonyccd-tr550e) & my standard def minidv cam (canonmvx250i) both do not work anymore and they would cost too much to repair.

have been looking on ebay to try and pick up 2nd hand models but no joy so far.

I'm also looking at doing the same (seems to be a few of us!). My father-in-Laws Sanyo VM D9P doesn't play and he has about 30 8mm tapes. Rather than buy a second hand camcorder does anyone no if there is a VHS cartridge available that I could put the 8mm tapes into. That way I could play them in my VHS VCR and convert that way. Maplins sell the cartridges but not for 8mm tapes.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

I can see from previous posts that 8mm adaptors are not available. So I have to buy another 8mm camcorder. Just one question, why is it better to record from camcorder to DV to PC rather than directly from camcorder to PC?
    Thanks.