Thread: Rendering as good quality with low file size.

Default Rendering as good quality with low file size.

Hey there, I was wondering if someone could help me here.

I like to put the films I make onto a DVD disc, the disc is about 4GB. I understand that uncompressed avi is for the best rendering quality but the file size is huge and is too big for the disc.

Is there another way to save as good quality and have a smaller file size? because I need to have the file size small enough to fit onto a DVD disc.

Thanks for your time.

Blog Entries

Do you mean a dvd rom, a data disc - or a dvd that you can play in a dvd palyer?

A DVD player mate

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TWIY View Post
    A DVD player mate
    Then it HAS to be MPEG2
    Tim

Ok thanks alot

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Then it HAS to be MPEG2
    Unless the player can play MPEG-4 . A lot of players have MPEG4 decoders in built, which means you can dump divx, xvid etc on to a DVD and play them through your DVD player.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    A lot of players have MPEG4 decoders in built, which means you can dump divx, xvid etc on to a DVD and play them through your DVD player.
    I was vaguely aware that such things existed but not really thought it through. I've not really considered xvid/divx for anything other than highly compressed web/internet distribution. Is there a real use for it on a domestic TV/Home Cinema setup? (Genuine question)
    Tim

Tim, I suppose it not so much along the lines of: What do I need to play a DVD within my DVD player? - it is now, how easy it is to render and share a DivX file on many more platforms than JUST a DVD player. If the DVD player has been DivX certified then that is another option.

What we are all doing is to get more of our stuff out there more often - and then there is Blue Ray!

Anyways, Tim, here's good place to start concerning DivX DivX.com: DivX Video Player & DivX Video Codec

Back in 2007 DivX acquired MainConcept. And who licenses their software to SONY for the use of their MPG2 ( read DVD encoding ) software? MainConcept.

This story, of course, is not over yet. But greater crunching with fabulous output is now a commonplace occurrence. Do I think more DVD players will get DivX licences? Who knows? But there again, Blu-Ray will slowly and surely start to replace DVD boxes in time. When will that evolution come to pass? How knows. But in the meantime you/we/I have DivX as an option. Do I use? Yes! It is easy and can crunch stuff down just so easily and retain amazing quality.

I've used TMPGEnc and I have my own flavour of MPGE-1 - yes 1! - which is playable in a DVD player and is honestly very hard to distinguish from high rated MPEG-2. Do I do MPGEG-1 any more? Nope. Why? 'Cos Vegas encoding to MPEG-2 is now so darn easy.

So I suppose, what I am saying, is that I am a encoding obsessive. Always looking and trying new ways to encode - easily! - what is the mind-numbingly most stupid part of our process. But I certainly ain't gonna spite my face if I find an easier, better and wider platform player base ( DVD players, Blu-Ray, Hand helds, Cell phones, PSPs etc etc) encoder to be had. Having DivX is part of this evolution.

"Is there a real use for it on a domestic TV/Home Cinema setup? (Genuine question)"

Genuine answer? If there is a real domestic use for it, I am ready for it! And have been for 2 years. And that's as about genuine I can make it in this day-and-age.

I remeber the time when I had spent weeks on a project just for a nitwit in an organisation not being able to show it "correctly" to a main client. OK, not a home usage, but I am NOT going to get burnt this way again.

Your genuine help and assistance is always appreciated. Having more technologies more available more and more just makes us all a bit more hungry for the "new". So I guess that that is another reason why encode "flavours" proliferate too.

I am sure MPEG-2 will vanish - eventually. And the other thing is that these encode life-expectancies cycles will most likely become shorter and shorter. The next one IS on the horizon now. Can you play an MPEG-2, with its authored Menus from a solid state SD Card?

Spinning platters will vanish. SD cards? Yeah, maybe, but INTERNET vaults and access to our own on the net and Media slabs under our LCD flatties (or hermetically sealed/enclosed within 'em!) will kick them out of the living room.

"Is there a real use for it on a domestic TV/Home Cinema setup?" - almost!But what we have now, and what it will become, will be as unrecognisable as the Compact Tape was to the CD and the DV Tape is to the Card, now used for recording to in the SONYZ7 HDV camera.

Oh, tonight I showed my latest project on a handheld digital TV with USB and SD card options, which was encoded using DivX straight into the Phono input of my CRT domestic TV. The point I am making here is that there is just so much interchangeable kit to be had now, for our creative processes, that was unthinkable 2 or even 1 year ago, for us to be "stuck" with one process.

Here's another one: I now have my Epson printer's USB stick option to access files for working on ON another pc!

The 80s was about the potential of the digital convergence of the INTERNET and personal computing - the '90s saw this happen - BIG time. The 00's is about how the actual "kit" can keep up with this convergence.

Grazie

Blog Entries

Thought provoking stuff, Grazie.
    Clearly the technology is there (once connectivity speeds become great enough and reliable enough) for us all to watch/listen to material from internet vaults and methods of encoding will continue to improve (although the headline next big thing will just be marketing hype).

What seems odd to me is that someone who has a collection of DivX movies would most likely have them on a media server (or access to a remote media server over the internet/cable) or an SD card or a hard drive (perhaps in a gizmo which allows direct plugging into a TV) . Why would they ever bother putting it onto a DVD as a DivX?

That seems to me a bit like a bilingual person - say equally fluent French and English - taking a book he is more than capable of reading in English and translating it into French just to read it in French.

I'm not sure we'll be happy to exist in a world where our music and video collection exist solely on our own hard drive or on a server elsewhere. If I buy music, I still like to have something tangible to hold. There again my kids (19 & 21) don't seem to give a monkeys about that stuff. Album liner notes? Well, we get all that stuff and more off the internet.

'bout time I signed up for that Seniors' Residential Home. I guess
    Tim