Thread: Layout and masking

Default Layout and masking

Hi all -

I'm trying to figure out how to do masking on my Vegas (movie studio) 8, and under the crop/pan feature (where the checkbox is supposed to be), there is no masking option. Instead, it has a toolbar that says "properties". I can't seem to click, right click, or do anything else to make the masking feature appear. Does anybody know what might be wrong, or a different way it could be accessed?

I seem to be missing a lot of features that tutorials for Vegas 8 are supposed to have, so I'm wondering if maybe something got tweaked with the program's layout?

Any help whatsoever would be so very appreciated! I'm stuck!

Quote Originally Posted by Purplesuberu View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how to do masking on my Vegas (movie studio) 8, and under the crop/pan feature (where the checkbox is supposed to be), there is no masking option.
    Where did you see this option is available in VMS?

In the FULL VegasPro8 it is an option. You do mean the ability to draw a Bezier Mask? Yes?

Grazie

Perhaps that's where I'm running into trouble.

I thought it was a feature in the regular Movie studio because the website doesn't list it as one of the additional features in the more expensive version. However, I was in my "help" application and it mentions a Benzier mask, but gives no clue as to what that is or what it does. Anybody know if I could accomplish the same kind of thing with that?

Thanks!

Angie

Blog Entries

I thought it was a feature in the regular Movie studio because the website doesn't list it as one of the additional features in the more expensive version.
    Actually the comparison table on the website Sony Creative Software - Vegas Pro 8 - Vegas Family Comparison doesn't mention masking at all which seems a bit of an oversight as this is a pretty good feature.

However, I was in my "help" application and it mentions a Benzier mask, but gives no clue as to what that is or what it does. Anybody know if I could accomplish the same kind of thing with that?
    Bezier masks are the masks that Grazie and you are talking about - the bit in Pan & Crop which is only available in Vegas Pro.

You are still able to use an other form of masking where you place a greyscale image on another track and use that as a mask. Search help for compositing, mask and parent.

Also, if you haven't already done so, download the manual. It's quite readable and at least makes it clear when something is only available in the Pro version.

Actually scrap that last comment. It seems with Version 8 they no longer use the same documentation for VMS and Pro
    Tim

Thanks, Tim. It seems strange to me that their help sections don't differentiate between the version of Vegas that you're using and the others that are available, but that's probably why I was so confused.

Thanks for the help!

Blog Entries

I was going to say there's a separate manual for MSP, but I've just downloaded it and it's only the quick start guide. Very poor!
    Tim