Thread: Dual Layer Burning Help

Default Dual Layer Burning Help

Me and my friend have been working on creating a home movie for a while and wanted to burn it to a DVD. The file is too large to fit on a regular DVD so we wanted to use a dual layer DVD. We are using a DVD +R DL. When we tried to burn it to a dual layer using Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0, it seemed to work and it was successful until when we tried to play it on a dvd player, we got to about the middle of our movie and it just froze the DVD and didnt play. When we tried to just fit it onto a regular DVD the video quality was not to our liking. We would prefer not to split it onto 2 disks unless there is a good way to still use the menu on the first disk. We are unsure if its a problem of the DVD player not being able to handle a dual layer DVD or its a problem through the software we are using. Premiere Elements had an option to use the dual layer disk and would compress our file to fit to that exact size which leads us to believe that its a problem with the DVD player and not our software. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

I just purchased PE 4.0 and attempted to burn to a single layer disk and when I did I got a message that "PE4.0 had encountered a problem and must shut down", I have try several times thereafter and got the same message. I am convinced that there is a conflict with PE4.0 and the DVD burner. I now burn my rendered video to my harddrive which you can do with PE4.0 and then use another burning software Nero without problem. I know this doesn't quite fit your question but I thought I'd share it with you.

MMP... I'm 99.99% certain it is your dvd player, it can't play dual layer dvd discs.

My apologies for my misinformation as I should have read the post much more closer and not so early in the A.M. Thanks Nikosony for straightening me out, next time if, if I post a reply I'll do my homework first.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    MMP... I'm 99.99% certain it is your dvd player, it can't play dual layer dvd discs.
    To clarify here just slightly....

I also feel it is most likely your DVD player but not that it won;t play dual layer DVD disks as I've never seen a player that can't. The issue is most likely that it cannot play dual layer WRITABLE DVDs.

Just about any DVD you buy is dual layer and it plays all those ok right?

Yes Alan fair point, I suppose it depends on the age and model of the dvd player to a certain extent aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    Me and my friend have been working on creating a home movie for a while and wanted to burn it to a DVD. The file is too large to fit on a regular DVD so we wanted to use a dual layer DVD. We are using a DVD +R DL. When we tried to burn it to a dual layer using Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0, it seemed to work and it was successful until when we tried to play it on a dvd player, we got to about the middle of our movie and it just froze the DVD and didnt play. When we tried to just fit it onto a regular DVD the video quality was not to our liking. We would prefer not to split it onto 2 disks unless there is a good way to still use the menu on the first disk. We are unsure if its a problem of the DVD player not being able to handle a dual layer DVD or its a problem through the software we are using. Premiere Elements had an option to use the dual layer disk and would compress our file to fit to that exact size which leads us to believe that its a problem with the DVD player and not our software. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
    i wouldn't recommend burning dvds directly from premiere, it's not the perfect dvd burner. you might consider exporting your whole movie as avi (the file will be large i'm sure, probably about 20gb). then use adobe encore dvd (cs3) to transcode and burn. from my experience, encore is the perfect software for creating dvds (it gives the highest quality possible and playable dvds)
    The child has grown
    The dream is gone