Thread: PC's Versus Older Mac's

Angry PC's Versus Older Mac's

Hi all this is my first post.

Did a bit of video work about 4 or five years ago using a pc with a 1.7ghz athelon, 512 mhz ram and matrox rt2000 with two displays and a CRT preview monitor and premiere 6.5 as the rt2000 wont support CS.
    Anyway was running on Win 98 and after a lot of messing was quite stable. I eventually changed the operating system to XP sp2 and again after a lot of messing was quite stable. Doing basic video stuff and using matrox transitions it rendered more or less instantly. Anyway thought i'd have another dabble and today the motherboard failed.

my question is with the speed of currently processors would a highspeed computer render just as fast as the RT2000 using software only rendering, I've always fancied a mac but don't want to spend lots, would a Power Mac G4 800mhz or similar with final cut perform as good as my old system or am I better off chucking a new mother board in and sticking with what ive got.

A lot of questions.
    Cheers

Steve

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Steve View Post
    my question is with the speed of currently processors would a highspeed computer render just as fast as the RT2000 using software only rendering, I've always fancied a mac but don't want to spend lots, would a Power Mac G4 800mhz or similar with final cut perform as good as my old system or am I better off chucking a new mother board in and sticking with what ive got.
    Software encoding's come on leaps and bounds in the last few years. Take a look at the CPU benchmarks on Toms Hardware. The high end processors can convert to DivX in better than real time. Desktop CPU Charts - Tom's Hardware

Blog Entries

An 800mhz G4 mac is a slug. Avoid I would say.
    And as mark says PC perf figures have goen through the roof in the last 2 years, I am no expert but I suspect the rationale for hardware rendering has become far less clear.

true true i have had issues with g4's crashing. PC's over macs all the way

I currently edit on a MacPro but still use my MDD G4 867Mhz dual and 800Mhz Quicksilver for editing with Final Cut. As for run of the mill editing they do a fine job, the only downside is rendering/compression time, it will take the dual g4 many hours to do a two pass encode of an hour long project in MPEG 2 where the 2.66mhz x 2 dual core Mac Pro does it faster than real time. I am biased towards Macs but I would have to say that you will get more out of putting money into a new motherboard. I would not replace my G4 machine if it died after seeing how much better a modern machine be it Mac or PC cuts it.

As far as regrets, I cringe when I look back at what I spent in 1996 on the PM8100av/Targa 2000/Jackhammer wide SCSI editing system.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 72Devilz View Post
    As far as regrets, I cringe when I look back at what I spent in 1996 on the PM8100av/Targa 2000/Jackhammer wide SCSI editing system.
    Oh puh-leeze! I've got a $15,000 computer sitting unused in my office bought in '98 and my current laptop is faster with more memory!

Sometimes progress sucks!

Blog Entries

I recall my 16k ram pack on y zx81 cost nearly 20 ( 60 infaltion adjusted ) - and it still wouldnt run vegas - but 3d moster maze rocked my tiny world way back then.

60 will get you 6 gig of ram in 2009.

That is 375,000 times more for the same money - crikey !