Thread: Vegas Pro 8 - Can I Automate video effects using audio information?

Default Vegas Pro 8 - Can I Automate video effects using audio information?

Hey, I was wondering if it's possible to automate video effects using say, the decibels of an audio track. The intended goal is to make something fluctuate on screen (controlling a series of different knobs for things like glowing and noise and blur) based on a staccato style sound.

Quote Originally Posted by v0idnull View Post
    Hey, I was wondering if it's possible to automate video effects using say, the decibels of an audio track.
    The quick answer is - No! - The longer answer is Noooooooo . .. . . unfortunately.

Vegas does not have any feedback FROM the audio TO the visual. What we/I/others do is to literally "tap" out on the "M" (Marker) key rhythm/bass, or whatever, and use these markers as the reference points to make changes in any visual/fx wanted.

Sometime in the past I "flirted" with a neat plugin from "Black Cat" . I'd have to re-research this one as it was about 3 years back - yeah?

Nope, no straighforward way. Bummer, huh?

Grazie

eh...

That sucks. This isn't music, this is a static noise like sound. It's impossible to tap out.

Are there any windows based video editing suites that do this?

thanks

Noise eh? Hmmm... Can you get a sample screen grab of the waveform pre-noise and then with-noise. I may MAY have a cunning plan .. . (rubs chin) . . Grazie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post

Sometime in the past I "flirted" with a neat plugin from "Black Cat" . I'd have to re-research this one as it was about 3 years back - yeah?
    This may save some time...it's Blue Cat and the product is Digital Peak Meter
    Blue Cat's Digital Peak Meter - Convert Audio to Automation Curves (Freeware)
    and look at the tutorial for use with Vegas (the pdf version the other link is broken)
    It's not clear to me whether you need the pay-for version.

Note this is not realtime. You use it to record an envelope and then apply that envelope to another track.

Looks interesting.
    Tim

Ah! Thanks Tim. I knew it was some colour of feline! - At least I didn't say Purple-Pussy!!- OOps, damm I just did!

Yes, that's what it was - automated curves. I didn't convert my fliration into full-on consumation - unfortunately . . . close! But not what I would call "sleek".

Grazie