Thread: Video on Vista x64?

Default Video on Vista x64?

Ok, I recently bought a Sony HDR-SR11. I want to start dabbling in video editing, especially since I have clips that I totally screwed up while videoing....

Anyway, I am in the market for a new PC and I am considering a Intel® Core™2 Quad processor Q9300; 6GB DDR2 memory; DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive; Labelflash technology; 640GB hard drive; Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with SP1.

My concern is the 64bit part. So I have these questions:

1. Will the Sony HDR-SR11 interface correctly with this OS? According to the Sony website, the software that comes with the camera is not compatible?

2. Will Sony Vegas Platinum work on this Vista version?

Thanks for your response...

Ray

Blog Entries

You can used the Windows compatability website to see of software is supported. see http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/.

Make sure that your chosen software is compatible with AVCHD.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    You can used the Windows compatability website to see of software is supported. see http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/.

Make sure that your chosen software is compatible with AVCHD.
    I did not see the Sony HDR-SR11 on the list. This is one of the problems of depending on the MS compatibility list.

However, I have just read a posting on camcorderinfo.com that says the SR11 is compatible on Vista x64. Also, using Pinnacle Studio 12 works great on Vista x64.

The only additional comment there was because the PC I may get will have 6gig of ram, soome 32 bit apps may not like it. It was suggested that I go with 4gig of ram.

Has anyone using Vista x64 with >4gig of ram notice any 32bit application problems?

Thanks.

Ray

Blog Entries

I'd posted the link to the windows verification site for the software rather than the hardware. The issue with the camcorder won't be interfacing with windows, but rather the software compatibility with AVCHD. Given that AVCHD editing is not yet universally supported by all software (for example within Premiere Pro), it is important to a) check that your software supports AVCHD and b) that this software is compatible with 64 bit windows.

And that's why Pinnacle Studio 12 is compatible with the cam - because studio 12 supports AVCHD and is 64bit compatible. Does that make sense? It's not that the cam is compatible with windows 64 bit per se (and will not therefore feature in the windows list), but rather that there is software available that supports the camera format and is 64 bit compatible.

So here's the question - do you REALLY want Studio 12. Studio has a history of bugs and there are just as many people with bad experiences as those with good. Those that can get it to work, love it. Those that experience frequent crashes, loathe it. I would suggest you get your hands on a trial before you buy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rayj00 View Post
    The only additional comment there was because the PC I may get will have 6gig of ram, soome 32 bit apps may not like it. It was suggested that I go with 4gig of ram.
    Not a definitive answer, but at the high end of the market benefits start to get incremental. That is to say that with simple video editing, it is unlikely that you will notice any issues with 'just' 4 gig of RAM. Although not my main editing system, I have a copy if Premiere CS3 installed ona laptop with a gig of RAM and it's a breeze to edit video.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    I'd posted the link to the windows verification site for the software rather than the hardware. The issue with the camcorder won't be interfacing with windows, but rather the software compatibility with AVCHD. Given that AVCHD editing is not yet universally supported by all software (for example within Premiere Pro), it is important to a) check that your software supports AVCHD and b) that this software is compatible with 64 bit windows.

And that's why Pinnacle Studio 12 is compatible with the cam - because studio 12 supports AVCHD and is 64bit compatible. Does that make sense? It's not that the cam is compatible with windows 64 bit per se (and will not therefore feature in the windows list), but rather that there is software available that supports the camera format and is 64 bit compatible.

So here's the question - do you REALLY want Studio 12. Studio has a history of bugs and there are just as many people with bad experiences as those with good. Those that can get it to work, love it. Those that experience frequent crashes, loathe it. I would suggest you get your hands on a trial before you buy.
    I've been reading various video forums and I don't think I've read anything that bad that would force me not to use it as my main editing software. But you are
    right. If they have an evaluation copy available, are there features that are crippled or is the eval version on a timed basis? I hate evaluating software when features are turned off.....