Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi ! i Really could do with some help

Smile Hi ! i Really could do with some help

Hi, was reading your site and i was wondering if someone could possibly help me with some newbie advice.

Like this is a brand new idea i am really excited about, (getting into a film making) but i am a total novice.

There are a few ideas floating around my head, mainly comedy shorts, but im open to music videos etc, basically i havent a clue what im going to do, all i know is that i need to get a camera and a pc.

this is the camera i was looking at
    Buy TOSHIBA GSC-K80HE | High definition 80gb hard drive camcorder - Cameras & Camcorders | Comet

as i say i dont have a clue what im doing, so could someone please give me some advice on whether it is any good or not. also on my computer choice, i was going to splash out on a macbook. what do you think?

also im 20 years old and im doing an electronics job atm, i was wondering when you all started or whether you are in jobs in film at the minute.

anyways i would be very greatful for any beginner advice (books to read, websites, anything at all)

thanks

Blog Entries

I am guessing but probably about 15% of posters earn thier living from film making, most of those in the commercial rather than entertainment sector.

I would typify this site as meeting the needs of the keen autuer.

To answer your question fully would be a huge undrtaking - these are only pointers.

First the easy bit, and aruably not the most important bit, the kit.

Sound - This is at least as important as video and many films we see on here are ruined cos of poor sound. Spend as much on sound kit as you do on your camera. Yes really! You can have a radio play without video but you cant have a tv play without sound.

Camera - Real cameras use tape. The market is full of gadgets and gizmos that are little more than tools for salespeople. Tape is a mature and flexible medium and gives the best quality and is easiest to edit. Hard drives belong in computers. A good perhpas used DV SD camera will give better video than a mediocare HDV camera. Sad but true.

Learning - This is the key to making films. You must love films and get in the habit of watching films and deconstructing them in your head. Watch directors commnetries in the extras, they are very instructive. Read film books, both technical and arty.

Practice -practice practice practice. Get feedback, cry, try again - repeat !

thanks a lot for the advice

although i cannot see how tape is easier to edit than harddrive?

could you suggest a camera for a beginner? if the one i posted isnt good enough

Blog Entries

Tape is not easy to edit, but you dont edit tape you edit the data it contains.

The video data on tape mediums, both dv and hdv is less compressed ( better quality) and in a form that lends itself to editing.

This forum is full of posts from peole who have been misled by sales people - many find the video produced fiddly or impossible to edit without more fiddling.

My first question to you would be do you have a love of film or the arts in general, are you able to tell a story with a beginning, middle and end? Whenever you watch a film do you just 'watch it' and forget about it, well it was only a film, or do you question why the director used a particular style of editing, lighting or narrative? A lot of the forum members have that storytelling bug inside us, we can't get rid of it and it's something that's inside you from an early age. I remember when I was small I used to stay behind in the cinema and read the credits at the end of the film while everyone else was leaving, I'd always have to be dragged out by my mother or father.

I also realised recently I read the extra features on the back of dvd movie cases now more than ever to see if there is a directors commentary and if there are any featurettes on compositing, cgi, foley/adr, preproduction, production and post production. Does this sound like something you have a yearning to do, or do all those terms scare the life out of you. Before you get carried away with buying camcorders, computers and software, do you have that bug aswell?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Before you get carried away with buying camcorders, computers and software, do you have that bug aswell?
    I'm not sure that matters. Ziggy clearly wants to have a go at making films. He also realises that there's more to making a film than pointing and shooting, otherwise he wouldn't be asking here.

Like many, I bought my camcorder to catch my newborn's first movements but new full well I'd want to at least cut out the crap and maybe dub some music. I certainly did NOT expect that I'd end up joining the local camcorder club (aka Darby & Joan) and entering a film in a national competition (just to get "professional" appraisal).

I'm far from a fanatic, and I primarily make family films, but yes, I've got the bug - but it developed. If I hadn't had access to the equipment in the first place, I'd never have known whether I'd get into filmmaking.

The beauty is that the entry costs are so cheap nowadays.

And Ziggy, pay heed to the advice of Mark et al here.

Standard Definition MiniDV will be easier to edit, less resource hungry on your PC and give you quicker and better results (than cheap cams of other formats)
    Once you've got the basics, IF you get the bug and want to develop, you will have gained far more knowledge and be in a much stronger position when you decide to spend more money and develope your interest.
    Tim

lol being called ziggy seems strange now, i hate picking forum names just the song that was on at the time, im sam btw

thanks a lot for the advice, ive started narrowing down my search for my camera, i will be buying it next wednesday, im thinking maybe a sony handcam SR35, or the DV one the 62 i think it is, a bit cheaper and taking your advice on board i think im going to go with the DV.... my computer i formatted last night and ive got access to either vegas pro or premiere pro and after effects from my works for free, that was another question i was going to ask.

with my film thing, i know i dont just watch them, but i also dont wait around to see who edited what. BUT even if i dont i think i know a good film when i see one, i like films with character representation, eg, one flew over the cuckoos nest (my all time fave) i just decided that i want to film something and since i started with the idea im getting more and more excited about it.

your all being a big help up to now!

so yeah, software choice?

Tim do you think some of it doesn't matter or none of it matters? It's just that there have been some many day dreamers coming on here over the past three years it's nice to see a new forum member who is isn't one of them. I think it's more important not to be dazzled by all the gizmos and gadgets that are on sale and be a good story teller instead. Who wants to see more skateboard videos or music videos on here, I know I don't. All I can say is Ziggy welcome to the forum and if you stick around you'll certainly learn lots.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Tim do you think some of it doesn't matter or none of it matters?
    The poster (who now semi regrets the fact that he shall be known as Ziggy) had a specific question (was a particular camera any good) and a request for general beginner advice.

I'm not sure that the answers anyone here would have given him would be different whether he had "the bug" or just some ideas he wanted to try out. That was the only context in which I queried whether having the bug mattered.

Sorry if it wasn't clear.
    Tim

well, ive been coming up with ideas this weekend, i definitley think i have a talent for comedy videos, ive wrote my first 5 minute short i think i only wanted to do a music video to cut my teeth with some easy editing, but i suppose i could do it with this anyways...

any ideas on whether to use premiere or vegas yet?

i was thinking i will go with premiere but i am planning to get a sony camera so was thinking maybe vegas will be more compatable...

edit) after having a look around on the forum i see both programs put forward strong arguements, so instead of being a newb and asking the same questions everyone asks ill rephrase

Do you think it would be better to edit sony cam footage in vegas, and also if i chose to use adobe..... elements or pro?
    Last edited by ZiggyStardust; 07-24-2008 at 01:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast