Thread: Adobe Premiere on PC vs. Final Cut on Mac

Default Adobe Premiere on PC vs. Final Cut on Mac

WHat configuration gives you the best performance when editing a movie? Not user-friendly wise, but processing wise.

Say you have a P4-3.4Ghz-1k cache-1Gb ram. What Apple computer will I need to be at the same level of performance?

If you know a site I can check out for this kind of info, I would appreciate?

Blog Entries

No idea mate. Problem is, I've yet to meet an unbiased person. Someone will either tell you all macs are marvelous, or all PCs perfect. Making a comparison is never going to be easy.

digitalvideoediting.com gave it a go and came up with this article in November 2002:
    http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2...macvspciii.htm

So, in addition to the extra $629 you must pay for the Mac, it will cost you plenty of time as well, especially while using After Effects. Time is money. After looking at these startling benchmark results, we have to gaze over at our beautifully-designed Macs and ask, "Is it worth it?"
    That was then, this is now:

We are asked all kinds of questions here at the Midwest Test Facility. Lately, the one query that seems to find its way into the in-box more often than any other is some variation on, “When are you going to test the new Apple G5 against the fastest PC?”

OK, I don’t know when we’ll publish the next version of our ongoing grudge match, Mac vs. PC, but it’s going to happen soon. To bring you up to date, I have made repeated requests to the Apple PR people, asking them to please send us a G5 for testing. Their response was that yes, they were certainly going to send us a new machine, as they always do when a new computer is introduced at Apple. But they are going to make us wait this time. They tell us we must wait for Final Cut Pro to be optimized for the G5.

Now I don’t want to write anything here that will scare these PR people away, making them decide not to send me a gleaming new G5 to test against the fastest PC. Heck, I’m already in the dog house with them, considering all the names I’ve called them, all the making fun of them I’ve done and my tendency to generally pick apart each of their hyperbolic speed claims point-by-point. So maybe I just need to apologize, publicly, for calling them “Prevaricating Pinocchios of PR,” among other audaciously alliterative accusations. Maybe I should just stop calling Apple “That Cupertino Fruit Company.” Maybe I need to reform, clean up my act. Or maybe I can just be an editorial writer and call ’em like I see ’em, like I’ve always done. Yeah. I like that better.

That said, allow me to express a nagging doubt. Apple wants us to wait until Final Cut Pro is optimized for the G5. What’s wrong with it now? Does this mean it’s not too swift now and it’s not fit for us to test? And I don’t know about you, but whenever I see that term “optimized,” a red flag goes up for me. All too often, the word is misused in the computer press, as a far-off utopia when all will work perfectly, all will be optimized, all will be right with the world.

Blog Entries

If you're in the business and have oodles of cash, go with a MAC and Final Cut. I know your question was "what would I have to buy to get the same performance". But.. I can't answer that

looks like even if I were a business, and had too much cash, I would go for a 3gz P4.
    Have a look at this: http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/Art...445/38445.html

:wink: