Thread: Rendering times in Vegas 7

Default Rendering times in Vegas 7

I have an avi movie 1 hour 46 mins long....i want to convert to MPEG2 with chapters markers so i can burn to dvd

The only problem is the rendering time, it keeps increasing as the job progresses, it was up to over 7 hours projected render time after 10 mins into it so i just gave up.

Is this kind of render time normal ?

Blog Entries

Yes. Post your cpu specs if you need further reassunrance.

Quote Originally Posted by minty fresh View Post
    I have an avi movie 1 hour 46 mins long....i want to convert to MPEG2 with chapters markers so i can burn to DVD
    I doubt you have a completely finished pre-rendered AVI file. If you did and were rendering to MPGE2 it would take something LESS than real time. - If this IS the case then you have something else serioulsy putting the brakes on.

Quote Originally Posted by minty fresh View Post
    The only problem is the rendering time, it keeps increasing as the job progresses, it was up to over 7 hours projected render time after 10 mins into it so i just gave up.

Is this kind of render time normal ?
    YES - if you haven't pre-rendered! If you have plenty of FXs running on tracks OR just events; Generated media; Stills of high res and any other CPU intensive material, these HAVE to be worked on by Vegas.

Look, if you are making large CPU intensive renders and render jumps - e.g. AVI/WMV/XviD/MPEG2 to MPEG2 - then render times WILL be big. What I do is create an initial/interim AVI of the completed project - done! And it is TIHS I then produce MPEG2 from.

Now if you ARE doing this AND you are getting these long render times, then something else is slowing down your render process?

Grazie

Excuse my ignorance but i dont know what a completely finished pre-rendered AVI file is or an initial/interim AVI..

Ive got no FX running, i just want to convert an xvid movie to mpeg2 to watch on DVD

...my CPU is a 3GHz pentium 4 with 1 GB of RAM

This is a straight conversion from XviD to MPEG2 for burning onto a DVD? - Yes? Why do you need Vegas?

Grazie

what would you recommend ?

Why are you using Vegas for this?

Grazie

because i dont know what i'm doing obviously

Well, have you had ANY success in creating MPEG2s from Vegas yet? Even from a simple AVI - forget XviD for the moment. Let's see if you can do that at least? Yeah?

Grazie

I can produce mpegs from Vegas using avi's and xvids no problem...my only complaint is the render time....I had to leave my PC on overnight but it did produce the MPEG2 from the xvid no problem.