Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Music Copyright ... a guide for videographers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by raffetf View Post
    Am I right?
    Not exactly.
    You have to pay the organisations responsible for collecting the royalties. The IOV and WVRL licences provide a simple means of grouping all those payments together, in the same way as you might pay, say. PayPal for something the things you bought off eBay. It just makes life a lot easier.
    If you want to do it as an amateur, checkout the IAC licence. Joing the IAC (approx 40UKP pa) and for about 7UKP extra you can legitimitely use any music you've bought via legit UK retail channels for amateur films. But this probably does not cover you for YouTube broadcasts (I say probably as the agreement is up in the air and advice is against doing so).
    Tim

2. Default

Of course you can go the copyright free music path. The CDs say cost 30 for one but download single tracks are cheaper. I have a few CDs and have a license to use them in with the price. But the last one I bought was very 70's style and of course it will not help with other issues discussed here.

3. Default

A really useful post. When involved with weddings I tend to direct the bride and groom to the WVRL website, as it seems to cover all eventualities. You can show this licence to the person taking the service, which I have done, and it's been deemed suitable. Personally, I find the WVRL route very simple.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blackadder View Post
    Of course you can go the copyright free music path. The CDs say cost 30 for one but download single tracks are cheaper.
    And important point to note, although for the sake of brevity we often refer to copyright free music: The only copyright free music is music which has either gone out of copyright (and is thus at least 70 years old) or has been specifically released into the public domain.

There is royalty free music (where people allow you to use their music without paying a royalty (but very often ask you to attribute it) Copyright is retained by the holder.

And there is buy-out music, where for a one-off fee, you - the licence holder - and you alone are entilted to use the music for such purposes as are stated in the license. Again copyright is retained.

It is buy-out music (aka production music) to which you refer.
    Tim

Great thread Rob, and thank you to everyone else for contributing.

This area of the business has been a grey area for me. And is something I want to get right before making weddings films as a profession.

I gave the informative VWRL site a read, and it seems to have everything covered.

Just so that it is crystal clear, does the VWRL license cover all angles? Will this now enable me to shoot a wedding video, along with my Public Liability license? Or is there another license I should consider, music related or not?

Thanks for your help so far.

I'm sorry, but I think you guys are worrying over nothing with wedding videos. If I videotape a wedding for a fee and use music from a CD that I peronally own (not the wedding couple), then I have to pay royalties for using that music because I'm making part of my living from it. But as long as the couple own the CD, they have every right to put that music on their wedding video. You might as well tell them they can't mix their peas with their carrots. If you're worried about using music on a wedding video, just make sure the couple go out and buy the CD and not you.

I suppose, by extension, that if the organist plays any music from the last 70 years, then this would also need PRS clearance, as it's live, not recorded?
    Only if money is exchanged. I can stand on any street corner or in my bedroom and sing any song I like as long as I don't take money for doing so and as long as nobody else does. Meaning that if I own a grocery store and play music over the loudspeakers to my shoppers, I'm theoretically using that music to help me make a profit (althought I doubt any science could ever prove that playing music ever made anyone buy anything they wouldn't have bought anyway). And of course, a large percentage of people go to clubs specifically to hear a band, so obviously perfromance royalties come into play there. But if that same band plays in my backyard purely for fun and no one makes a dime, then they shouldn't have to pay anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoopie View Post
    I'm sorry, but I think you guys are worrying over nothing with wedding videos. If I videotape a wedding for a fee and use music from a CD that I peronally own (not the wedding couple), then I have to pay royalties for using that music because I'm making part of my living from it. But as long as the couple own the CD, they have every right to put that music on their wedding video. You might as well tell them they can't mix their peas with their carrots. If you're worried about using music on a wedding video, just make sure the couple go out and buy the CD and not you.
    With all due respect, from the research I've done so far this is definitely incorrect. You do need a license for re-producting music.

It seems there's no golden rule I'm missing out on, and due to the information on the VWRL website and peoples past experience, I'll be secure on purchasing one of these for each wedding I do.

Thanks for the help guys

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swoopie View Post
    ...But as long as the couple own the CD, they have every right to put that music on their wedding video....
    Oh dear oh dear oh dear. You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.
    ... and it's this type of misconception that gives rise to thread after thread on this question.

I'm sorry, but you're flat out wrong. I can do whatever the heck I want to do with the music and videos I own in my own freakin house. That includes making copies of it for my own personal use. Good grief.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast