Thread: New camcorder

Default New camcorder

My daughter's 18th birthday is coming up in mid-December, and I'm starting to look around for a digital camcorder for her as that's what she really wants. I'm really looking for something inexpensive and was hoping not to spend more than 350. I've always been pleased with my Panasonic, so am tempted to look there first. I think I can forego DV in: when I bought mine, it was pretty much essential (I bought a neat hack for it to enable DV in) - but with DVD writing/authoring both affordable and easy to do these days, it seems less important. No really strong preconceptions about needed features other than a good mix of automatic options with manual over-ride where appropriate. Anyone have any recommendations? Either specific models, or features I ought to make sure it has? Cheers, Ian.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Blog Entries

When you ask this question, the inevitable response is "get the camera I've got". I think 350 is pretty much the standard these days for a lower end cam, but you still aren't going to get a 3CCD one at this price point.

I'd say canon are well respected accross the board - from bog standard to prosumer. When comparing, I guess you should compare the size of the CCD chip (better ones give more vibrant colours), the size of the optical zoom (digital zooms are a gimmick - I'd even advise turning this feature off), performance in low light (ideally you want a cam that can film in "disco" conditions without infa-red or the crappy sony blur-motion).

Also consider any extras you get with the cam - size of the battery, cost of extra batteries (don't bother with the brand of the cam - get generics for half the price). Also look out for the performance of the mic.

Avoid microMV. I've a feeling this will now be priced at the 350 price point to shift units. Luckily DVDcams are priced out of your budget. Woohoo!

Thanks Marc - good, helpful stuff. Am I right in thinking that, at this end of the market, an 800K CCD is the best I can hope for? Cheers, Ian.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

Aim for the Moon - If you miss, you may hit a Star

AMD Athlon64 3000+
    48x CD burner
    16x Dual Layer DVD burner
    512 Mb RAM
    Windows XP Pro/Debian unstable
    Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5
    Firewire card
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    2 x 17" CRTs, 1 x 17" TFT

Thanks Pieguy. I'll do some research on that. I guess you can't go wrong with Sony... Cheers, Ian

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ian in Northampton
    Thanks Pieguy. I'll do some research on that. I guess you can't go wrong with Sony... Cheers, Ian
    Apart from buying betamax, microMV, microDVD...

Blog Entries

Ok, I'll throw a cam into the post. How about the Canon MV750i?

http://www.simplydv.co.uk/Reviews/canon_mv750i.html

Main features include wide angle lens attachment, 16:9 anamorphic (well, its not crop), 22x optical zoom, apparently good image quality (I believe it's really more the size of the chip rather than the no. of megapixels for better quality - you'll see a measurement in inches), DVin and out.

Cheapest on dealtime was 350:

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xFS?FN=Cam...=mv750i&FD=410