Thread: Uploading into You Tube

Default Uploading into You Tube

Am capturing in Premier Elememts 2 and trying to load sub 10 minute clips into You Tube - You Tube is rejecting as being too large a file- I was under the impression that You Tube took the uploaded file and reformatted it to fit.

Any tips on what I need to do to get a file in shape to upload into You Tube ?

Thx R
    Dell Dual Core Pentium 3 GB Ram 500 GB (7200 rpm) SATA Drive 128 MB ATI Radeon Graphics (TV out & DVI) 16x DVD+/-RW Dual layer

Youtube does some reformatting, yes, but: Youtube has time limits AND file size limits for uploading, which are detailed when you go to upload.

Unless your 10-min video is very small resolution, chances are very high that your file size is too large.

"Unless your 10-min video is very small resolution, chances are very high that your file size is too large."

Which is the case - the upload is being rejected as too large - I am paring the file down to 9.30, inside the 10 min time limit but after encoding in MPEG2 (Standard DVD format) in Prem Elements 2 the finished file is still571,000 KB (equiv 571 MB or 5.7 times over the 100MB limit imposed by You Tube) So I need to shrink the file down to within 100 mb - Can I do that within Prem Elements 2 or do i need to compress via an external source -

thx R
    Dell Dual Core Pentium 3 GB Ram 500 GB (7200 rpm) SATA Drive 128 MB ATI Radeon Graphics (TV out & DVI) 16x DVD+/-RW Dual layer

If your file is over 100MB in size, then it is too big for YouTube, and will need to be compressed. If you produce a video file, then put it into Movie Maker, then publish it as a .WMV file, it should be smaller than the original format.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMatty08 View Post
    If your file is over 100MB in size, then it is too big for YouTube
    Eh??

So how come I'm able to upload up to 1GB? Does it vary?

Last edited by Jerry Hill; 11-11-2008 at 06:10 PM.

Sorry just read on YouTube that the maximum file size is 1 GB or 1024 MB. My bad

Blog Entries

Uploading files that are uncompressed is madness - it would take days.

Make a native dv res wmv at about 1 to 2 mbit /sec - 10 mins is then about 70 to 100 meg.

Uploading at this quality will garuntee a hq option on the tube page.

Check this tut i wrote - Digital Video Editing Guides: Digital Director - features - Video Compression for Web Streaming

Vegas specific but may be of use.

That comment would agree with what I've been doing Mark, converting in Movie Maker using 'High Quality Large', which give me file sizes in the range you mention.