Thread: Using Vegas Studio with Sony Camcorder

Default Using Vegas Studio with Sony Camcorder

I have a Sony SR-12 camcorder and I downloaded the software that came with the camera into my computer. The software allows for the camcorder to download video which has been stored on it's hard drive directly into the computer. I download videos from the camcorder into the computer directly. The videos are automatically stored in folders within the Sony program that has been downloaded. So basically the videos have to be stored on the Sony SR-12 software program that came with the camcorder and that I downloaded into my computer.

The problem that I am having is I am unable to inport any video from the Sony SR-12 files onto the Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Edition 8.0 program. I'm thinking that there's some huge software problem that prevents the two from being compatible. Anyone know anything about this issue? Has anyone been able to download from a Sony SR-12 and then be able to edit the video downloaded using the Vegas Movie Studio?

Big problems cause I'm even unable to burn any of the video I downloaded from the camcorder onto a DVD that can be read in anything other then a computer, I just want to be able to download the videos from the camera into the computer, edit them, and then be able to watch that DVD in a DVD player and not a computer. but I guess that's a topic for a different forum.

Thanks,

Kameron
    Last edited by Kameron; 07-14-2008 at 04:23 AM.

Blog Entries

This forum is fine for your question.

First, just to clear up any misunderstanding..So basically the videos have to be stored on the Sony SR-12 software program that came with the camcorder is not correct.

The videos are transferred from (and possibly modified in some way) your camcorder to you computer's hard disk via the software that came with your camcorder.

You need to know where they have been put (and, if we later discover that Vega can't recognised them, in what format they have been stored).

Now, when you say I am unable to inport any video from the Sony SR-12 files how are you trying to do this? You should be going File | Import | Media then browsing to the location on your hard disk where you have downloaded the files from the SR-12.

If this is what you're doing then...
    (a) do you see the files when you browse within Vegas MSP or are they only visible in Windows Explorer/My Computer
    (b) if you can see them what exactly happens when you try to open them.

As another approach, don't use the oftware that came with the camcorder, just hook up via USB and copy (using Windows Explorer) the files to your hard disk.
    Tim

I do not see the files when I browse within Vegas MSP. The files are only visible when I open the Sony SR-12 software program and browse for them there. Even if I search for the video files on my computer, I can only open them using the SR-12 software. The videos are basically stored within this SR-12 software program.

I will attempt to download video from the camera directly into the computer without using the SR-12 software program and see if that resolves the issue. I'll post the outcome.

Thanks,

Kameron

Blog Entries

Hmmm...
    So you can see them in Windows Explorer but not in MSP. This means that MSP does not recognise the file format from the filename's extension (eg avi, mpg, mov etc)
    We need to discover what file format the SR-12 (quick Google) ...it appears they ar AVCHD files....and a bit more searching suggests VMSP 8.0 should be perfectly at home with AVCHD files.
    Let us know how you get on with simply copying the files to your PC's hard disk - what I've briefly read suggests that is all that is required.
    Tim

Thanks for your reply and info. When I see the files using windows, I am still not able to start the video and watch them on Windows. I see them and if I attempt to open them, I get a pop up that states my computer (Vista program) cannot open the file because it does not support the program that the video is in.

What is AVCHD? I notice when I attempt to burn video on a DVD, an error will occure and stop the burning process when I am attempting to burn a video onto a DVD using the "burn video onto DVD" or "DVD video" option. However, I am only able to burn the video to DVD if I elect to burn the video as a "Burn AVCHD onto DVD" or "DVD AVCHD." I am dissatisfied burning a AVCHD DVD because I can then only view it on a computer and not a DVD player such as one in a conventional entertainment center in a living room.

Blog Entries

OK, now we're getting somewhere.

1. Windows Vista cannot open you AVCHD files because it does not know how to handle an AVCHD file (and you haven't told it what program to use) This is NOT a problem unless you need to watch your AVCHD on your PC (in which case you need some software capable of playing AVCHD)

2. It's not clear to me what software you are using when you are doing your "Burn to DVD etc"

3. Burning AVCHD to DVD is simply copying the file to a DVD. It is NOT creating a file of a format recognised by domestic DVD players and neither is it creating a DVD structure recognised by a domestic DVD player. I'm, intrigued that you can then view that on your PC as you earlier stated Windows won't open teh AVCHD.

4. AVCHD is a High Definiion format. You absolutely MUST go through some sort of conversion process (can be handled by VMSP) if you want to play on a domestic DVD player wgich is STANDARD definition.

It sounds to me, Kameron, like you've been sold on all the marketing hype of you can do this, that and the other and you just plug this into that and "kaboom" you can have a glorious high definition result.

Well, to some extent that's true, but what the marketing bumph/ads/salesperson didn't tell you is there's a hell of a lot to learn before you can do all that.

But don't give up. It's a path well worth treading
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post

It sounds to me, Kameron, like you've been sold on all the marketing hype of you can do this, that and the other and you just plug this into that and "kaboom" you can have a glorious high definition result.

Well, to some extent that's true, but what the marketing bumph/ads/salesperson didn't tell you is there's a hell of a lot to learn before you can do all that.

But don't give up. It's a path well worth treading
    You are absolutely correct! But I would also like to add that the vast majority of these people who are selling these products, like to act, think, and come off to the average consumer as knowing everything but in reality they know pretty much only what a person right off the street knows about the products.

I'm not going to give up anytime soon. I've traveled to Japan countless times and gathered some incredible video along the way that I must edit and put together in order to capture my fond memories of when I lived there years ago and continue to revisit all those places. Once I get a handle on using all this software, I'll be very happy.

Thanks,

Kameron