Thread: Going Dizzy with the Choice plz help

Default Going Dizzy with the Choice plz help

Hi Everyone,

I am in the Market for a Camcorder and have been researching which one appeals to me most that is within my Budget.

So far I have the FS100 at the top of my list which is available in my Budget of 250 gbp.

Should I be looking at another camcorder for this Budget?

Specs wise I need the following.

Decent Image Quality and one which is better than my Panosonic Digital Camera the FZ-18.

Lot's of Zoom (Not Digital as I know how bad that is), Pref 35x and upwards, reason being I would like to capture Birds and long distance objects.

If possible good Macro too.

Storage wise a format which will allow me to edit movies/download to my computer, I love to process my Digital Photos so I am guessing Movies would be even more fun.

Low light noise free (well all most) video would be good too although I understand you prob need to spend around 800 too 1000gbp for this.Also my understanding is you can edit your movies to bring out more light?

I am pretty well versed in Digital Photography but Camcorder/Movie wise very new to this Multimedia..

I know I am prob asking far too much for my Budget but if anyone can help/advise on a camera which gets me close that would be great.

Kind Regards

James

Blog Entries

Decent image quality - Any proper vid cam will spank your stills cam for quality.

Lots of zoom - this conflicts with the above, huge optical zoom often menas compromised lens performance. To use anything above 5 times a tripod is essential.

Noise - all cameras are noisy in low light, but it is true that you generally get less noise with better cameras that can gather moe light with better lenses.

DV tape has the lowest compression of all consumer format and it is easiest to edit. I would reccomend a used DV camera cos your moeny is tight.

Card based camreas use lots more compression and can be fiddly to edit.

DV is a mature format and along with hdv is the preferred choice of the pro.

Spend your money on used dv and you should be in the market for some very good 3 chip cams.

3 chip cams give better results than single chip cameras, they have a sensor for each colour, red green and blue.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for those pointers.

Could you please recommend some models I should be on the look out for (secondhand DV) please?

Thanks

James

You say in your post you are very new to this multimedia, if you are then I wouldn't go buying a secondhand camcorder unless you either take someone with you (when you go to look at a secondhand camcorder) or you get someone to buy it for you online (and they know what to look out for).

With your 250 I would get a new camcorder instead from one of the reputable dealers such as Jessops, Currys, Dixons or even Argos (check out their websites). They have a number of camcorders which use Mini DV in the Canon, JVC and Panasonic range. That way you will get peace of mind and a 12 month warranty, this is the route I would use.

Why buy a secondhand camcorder for say 200 when you can buy a brand new working one for the same price? You don't want to run into knock off Nigel?

Hi,

By secondhand I meant a 3CCD (RGB) DV camcorder my fault prob didn't make that clear...

Seen lots of Mini DV cameras some of which cost as little as 130gbp (Sony DCRHC51E) brand new.

This camera seems to fit the bill all be it isn't going to give me pixel perfect movies but I don't expect that from any camcorder costing less than 1000 pounds.

Is the Sony DCRHC51E a good choice or is it a case of Gadgets Toy?

It's a cheap Mini DV camcorder and will do a good job on making good movies for you. It's got 40x zoom, Firewire out to connect to your computer, 2.5 inch lcd and that's about it. If you are looking for a 3 CCD camcorder then look at the Panasonic nvgs230, it has 10 x zoom but more controls and connections than the Sony, it also has the 3 charged coupled devices as Mark says one for red, green and blue colours. I've seen it on sale for 199.99, so have a look at it aswell.

Blog Entries

pixel perfect movies but I don't expect that from any camcorder costing less than 1000 pounds. - quote.

Ha - if only 1000 quid got you perfection...