Thread: Vegas 6 Order of work miniDV to DVD

Default Vegas 6 Order of work miniDV to DVD

I've used Ulead videostudio 8 for some years, home use, and twice a year I film the local amateur opera group and make a DVD for them.

Bought VMS 6.0 a few months ago and at first I couldn't get on with it. I've now done my first DVD but I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. I'm not used to using two programs to make a DVD, VMS 6.0 and DVD Architect Studio 3.0. I've got a DVD out of it but it seemed rather long-winded. I did this:

1. recorded three long scenes from 3 mini DV tapes, Acts 1, 2 and 3.
    2. Added a few initial introductory titles, inserted a couple of spacers between the acts
    3. saved the project to hard disc because I wanted to add some chapters in the DVD.
    4. Used DVD Architect Studio 3.0 to add some chapters and a little menu system, and
    5. Burned the DVD.

I like the ease of editing clips in the timeline in VMS 6.0 but it took ages to render the film as a .mpg in step 3 and then I had to wait while it rendered it again in step 5. In Ulead VS8 I could do it all in one go. Am I missing something? Is there an easier way?

Is it not possible to add chapters in VMS 6.0 and burn it straight to DVD?

I did search before posting this but couldn't find anything to help.

Many thanks. Phil.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhilW View Post

I like the ease of editing clips in the timeline in VMS 6.0 but it took ages to render the film as a .mpg in step 3 and then I had to wait while it rendered it again in step 5. In Ulead VS8 I could do it all in one go. Am I missing something? Is there an easier way?
    In Step 3, if you render using the MainConcept MPEG2 codec and chose the correct template for the type of DVD you are creating (eg DVD Architect PAL Widescreen), there will be no need for DVDAS to re-render. This should reduce much of your time.

There isn't a solution with fewer steps, I'm afraid. It's in the nature of the program(s). Vegas is an editing program which produces movie/files is a massive range of different formats. You can then use these in DVDs created with a DVD Authoring program such as DVDAS. But you're not obliged to.

It's a case of flexibility adds complexity.
    Tim

Default Vega 6 How do I do the audio, please?

Thanks for that.

I used the template but that is for video only. How do I save the audio and marry them up for the burn? Will they be in sync?

Many thanks, Phil

If the video and audio have the same file names the DVD-A automatically links them for you.
    if they are different names then load the video see it on the TL in DVD and drop the correct audio in.

You should (I thing) add chapters in Vegas by pressing M for marker. easier then doing in DVD_A.

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    You should (I thing) add chapters in Vegas by pressing M for marker. easier then doing in DVD_A.
    When rendering, make sure you have the "Save project markers in media file" checked too, otherwise you wont get them.

Grazie