Thread: JPGs to AVI - Size and the Export

Default JPGs to AVI - Size and the Export

Let me start by saying I'm a Final Cut guy and that I'm new to Premiere... REALLY new. So if there is a step that I am missing that will be needed everytime I work in Premiere please tell me.
    I'm a 3D animator that has had to render every frame of my animation out to JPGs instead of an AVI or MPEG because the computer kept crashing so this was my only option.
    Problem #1: I open Premiere, set the size of my project to 600 x 889 (same size as my JPGs), import my JPGs with the Numbered Stills box checked so they come in as one sequence, and drag it to my timeline. Now when I look at my Program Monitor (screen on the right) you can clearly tell that my JPG sequence isn't the same size as the viewing space of the Program Monitor, whats the deal?
    Problem #2: Exporting! Haha, I'm used to being on a Mac, using Final Cut, exporting to Quicktime... now I'm on a PC, using Premiere, exporting to AVIs. I kind of have a good idea of what I'm doing, but not really so if any one could point me in the direction of whats best for exporting my JPGs out to an AVI (uncompressed) that would awesome!

Thanks new Premiere Family!

What are your NTSC settings for your intended video,720X480, and what Premeire are you using, Pro or Elements? Let me know it may be just a matter of resizing your JPEG's to conform with NTSC settings of 720X480?? Let me know.

well first off I am using Pro and second I just adjusted the settings to fit the 889x600 JPG size. I have to use 720x480? If thats true I wouldn't have allowed the rendering to go off as 889x600, but gotta do what the man that pays you tells you to do.

I also use Pro 1.5 and have found that when I went to insert JPEGS to the timeline and look at them on the Program Monitor they are usually way to big, and thus they need to be resized, I did this in Photoshop via Batch resize, until I found that you can adjust your project settings to automatically conform JPEG's to the DV 720X480. However I may be way off base with this solution to your situation. Let me know how you make out. Exporting your timeline to AVI is pretty straight forwardwith PPro as after you assemble your JPEGS on the timeline you will then export"MOvie", to another loation of your choice, make sure you do all of your timeline editing first.

Do you know where I could find those settings so that I could get have the JPGs automatically conform to the 720x480 format? Also, do you know why I HAVE to use the 720x480 settings? When I used Final Cut I could use what ever I wanted. Thanks for all the help people!

Just for clairification purposes do your JPEGS appear too big in the monitor, too small?? Let me know maybe this is another solution?

well what it is is that my JPGs are 889x600 and the monitor seems to be scaled up to the correct height of 889 but is constrained to the 720x480 format (which would be something like 889x592.666) leaving some empty space to the right and left of the JPG.
    Thank you so much for the help guys. The dead line is quickly approaching and my animation isn't even done rendering out the JPGs so the more I know when it is done rendering the better off I will be when it comes to the editing portion of the project. Thanks again!

Something that I learned when I first started using Premeire Pro 1.5 and was using JPEGS. I would import them without regard to their pixel size, some were 2304x3072, to my usual 2272x1704. I would select my pic put them in a file and import the entire folder to PPro 1.5. Then I would assemble them in order on the timeline. When I looked at them in the monitor view I noted they were way to big. I then cliked on a pic in the timeline went to Effects Control (Fixed Effects) To Motion and in there I was able to Scale Height and Scale Width using a slider as you use the slider you can see the change in the program monitor, it fits the pics perfectly. This may or may not be of any benifit to you and would certainly defer to the more learned ones who frequent this forum.

If you have to manually adjust the jpegs in premiere:

Once you use the Scale Height and Width as described above, you should be able to Copy and "Paste Attributes" onto all the other jpegs, which will paste those resizing effects. Good luck!