Thread: new to this

Default new to this

Hi,
    Im a complete beginner to all this and we are basically looking for a decent camera and tripod with the facilty to get the videos edited and uploaded onto youtube. We just want to showcase some of our products on youtube and google ect. We also plan to do a short video about our company. I guess we would need a microphone too, but being new to this don't want to spend a fortune, could any give us some advice on what type of camera to buy and what to avoid.

Cheers

Can you say what your budget is, as this will determine the type of camcorder and other equipment you can purchase. Where do you intend to show the video of your company outside of the likes of YouTube, will you need high definition video, is it for exhibitions or trade shows?

Default about 500

Hi ,

We want to spend around 500. We would like to be able to transfer the videos to youtube and also onto our website for customers to view. We may also want to do a short presentation on the product so I guess a microphone would also be needed (unless one can be bought with inbuilt mic). Do you think we may need one of those white unbrellas too?

Most importantly though it will need clarity and the ability to have the tools to transfer to a PC and be able to have a few graphics added over the video such as logos ect,.

Regards and Thanks

With a budget of 500 you will need a number of items. Firstly a camcorder, next a tripod (essential for producing professional looking videos as handheld shots will not do), a bag to carry the camcorder in and some editing software. So that narrows down the type of camcorder you can buy, I would suggest a Mini DV tape based camcorder possibly a Canon model, a JVC model or a Panasonic model (there is a 3CCD model still available from none other than Argos at 199.99) or maybe try Jessops if there is a store near you.

The Canon models I would look at are MD216 and MD235 or the JVC GRD820. This will leave you with enough to purchase the other bits and pieces you are looking for including editing software, personally I would suggest Adobe Premiere Elements 4 (around 60 to 65), a tripod possibly a TP323 or TP327 again from Jessops; a camera bag can be purchased from any photography shop for around 25 (you don't need anything fancy or have some company's name on the front of it), just make sure it is big enough to hold the camcorder, at least two batteries, two tapes (2 hours of recording), and a cleaning cloth or lens tissues for the front lens element if you are outdoors and it starts to rain. A soft cloth is also useful to have to wipe spots of rain, dust or finger marks off the camcorder body.

Check out those camcorder models to see if any of them offer what you are looking for, if you find one that does then that's that sorted, if you don't then post again. Other items such as a Firewire cable and Firewire connection on your computer setup will come later. And no you don't need one of those white umbrellas, only used in studio still photography.

Default hi nikosony

I did go ahead and purchase the JVC GRD820. What type of lead will I have to buy to connect this to a PC as the camera doesnt have a memory card.

Cheers

You need a Firewire cable to connect the camcorder to the computer and you also need a Firewire connection on your computer.