Thread: Processing Holiday video

Default Processing Holiday video

Perhaps I'm using the wrong product, but I have about 250 video shots in the camera, that I'd like to "clean up" and link into a 30 minute DVD to inflict on family, friends etc.

Thankfully the shots naturally fall into chronological order, so I have saved them into standard PC folders "Day 1", "Day 2" etc. I have created Bins in Project Media named similarly with the purpose of working on only 1 day at a time......

On editing Day 3 raw video (importing to Day 3 Bin), Vegas 8 Platinum goes into "Not Responding" mode with only about 10 minutes of edited video on Track. I haven't got as far as Rendering it yet.

This is not the first time I get "Not Responding" from Vegas, it is usually when bringing media from Explorer to Project Media that I get trouble. I have 20GB free disk space, so I can't see that as an issue.

I have re-booted PC ith Anti-Virus, Internet and much other stuff turned off. I have 2GB RAM, 2x1.6Ghz CPU. Vegas STILL hangs.

Any ideas PLEASE??

Tell me - what capture software did you use to capture to your hard drive? And how BIG are your files?

Grazie

From Sony Handycam, via .mpg files with Sony Picture Motion Browser to extract it from Camera to Hard Disk.

I'm betting that you've got AVCHD files. Nasty to edit. I've read that they take heaps of PC resources. Your PC is a 1.6 is that a dual? Anyways, I don't know enough to inform, you but please look into AVCUpShift. It is meant to assist by converting AVCHD files to m2t files. See here: Sony HDV Info .com AVCHD HDR CX7 SR5 SR7 PMW EX1 XDCAM - AVCHD - Mpeg2

Sorry, can't be of any further assist here.

Grazie

Also you might want to ensure you have the latest version of Vegas Plat and that is 8d

Grazie

Thanks.

The files are .mpeg2, the proceesors are dual and I do have Vegas 8d build 139.

Each shot about 10-20 secs, 50 to 100mb each.

Blog Entries

In addition to what Grazie said, does it always fail at 10mins (ish) or is it always the same clip. I suspect you have a particular clip with which Vegas has a problem. Obviously this will be the most important clip from your holiday so you cant simply ignore...
    Tim

Will try that.

BTW, is it better to edit up each Day's events then assemble each Day into the DVD menu, or assemble (render) it Day by edited Day to one L O N G file?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arfer View Post
    BTW, is it better to edit up each Day's events then assemble each Day into the DVD menu, or assemble (render) it Day by edited Day to one L O N G file?
    Personally, unless the holiday is an adventure (or a trek from place to place) or really needs a "diary" approach, I'd avoid going for the linear approach and try to make separate "themed" chapters (eg "night life", "sight seeing", "beaches"/"Ski Slopes") perhaps topped and tailed with transport to/from the location.

As for which is "better" when authoring, I tend to go for a number of separate short films, simply because it's a tad easier if I want to stick just one or two of them onto a different DVD (or even render them to a different format)
    Tim

Thanks.

It was a cruise along the Rhine, a journey.

I think I shall do it "Day by Day" and assemble the "Days" into DVD sections.