Thread: analogue to digital

Default analogue to digital

I am wondering the best way to convert some old analogue wedding video footage into a digital source so i could edit it....any ideas.
    i have got a DVD recorder and have successfully transferred the video onto a DVD+R, so i presume this has converted the source already but how do i extrapalate the digital source now?
    when i go into the folders on the DVD+R they contain .VOB & .ISO files, but when i try to open them windows doesnt recognise them.
    thanks stevied20

The best way to achieve this, with the least loss too, is to connect your analogue source to a DV-in enabled camcorder and dump it to miniDV. Then use your editing software to digitise it to your PC.

I wouldn't recommend putting it on a DVD until you are done with all your editing as this encodes using MPEG2 which will just further serve to reduce the quality (especially as you will then be applying edits and effects to this footage and then encoding it again when you are done).

Transferring it via DV will maintain the best quality (obviously it will never be better than the original) and you won't lose any further quality while moving it around in its digital format.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Oh, and welcome
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Blog Entries

Or if you're lazy, pay someone to do it for you This can often be cheaper (based on the cost of additional hardware and your time), and may save premature baldness. Of course, you wouldn't have the satisfaction of the wonder that is the hobby of video editing, but you would keep most of your hair.