Thread: A noob in need of help!

Default A noob in need of help!

I just started using Vegas and I have some problems. Any help is appreciated!

First: My clip preview won't play back, and I have it set on FX Bypass. How do I fix this problem? Please include noob friendly instructions. Infact I only see these wave lines in the timeline. Is vegas not able to play my .avi video?

2nd: I want to add black bars to the bottom and top of the screen to create a wide screen kind of feel. My camera is old, so I have to add it the ghetto way. How do I do this?

3rd: How do I add text to the video?
    Last edited by dmak; 07-07-2008 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmak View Post
    My clip preview won't play back, and I have it set on FX Bypass.
    "FX Bypass" is for turning ON or OFF any special effects you have added to your clip/Event. It WONT prevent the previewing of a clip. You have another issue, which at present isn't clear to me.

Is vegas not able to play my .avi video?
    Well, apparently not. If you are wanting to use material/clips that fall outside of the Vegas COmpression/DECompression - hence CODEC - range of software then no, you will not be able to view your video. This holds true for every other editing platform. Your AVI is only a "wrapper" or book-jacket that is displayed to your editing software. What is INSIDE this cover is what Vegas needs to know how to decompress it and then utilisie that specific CODEC to do the job. Definitely do NOT judge a book by its cover!!

My advise is:

a) Read up on CODECs - it will be time well spent - honest!

b) Download a free software utility called G-Spot and import this AVI clip into it and then bring back here what G-Spot tells you. By doing this it will assist you in knowing just what CODEC you are requiring, then you can make a further decision. Vegas, and your PC, comes with a set of CODECS to deal with the most common forms of material that could be imported into it, on this occasion, it would appear you may have material that requires a further range of CODECS. But please be warned: Installing and using CODECS can lead to even further issues - they tend to "fight" with each other for the attentions of your material. Messy business that!!

I want to add black bars to the bottom and top of the screen to create a wide screen kind of feel. My camera is old, so I have to add it the ghetto way. How do I do this?
    This is a simple question requiring a complex answer.

Widescreen, or 16x9 ( let's not get involved with the other formats of wide and super wide here!), allows us to video and deliver to the present 16x9 screens. What you are wanting to do is to either show 16x9 on a 4x3 TV, hence giving the allusion OF 16x9 - your request for black bars - OR you haven't thought through what it is you really want.

Putting black bars on the top and bottom of a Vegas projects Events is really easy. Also turing 4x3 shot material INTO something that appears to fill a 16x9 screen is also straightforward. But until you tell us exactly what it is you are wanting to achieve, I for one, am none the wiser.

How do I add text to the video?
    Add a track ABOVE your video track and insert the generated media "Text" event and edit the "Sample Text".

Now MY request: Nearly 95.73% of your questions can be answered within the extensive Vegas Online Help file found within Vegas itself. Is it you don't know the exsistence of this Help file? Is this correct?

Grazie