Thread: Rendering

Default Rendering

Hi everyone,

When using Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Edition 8.0, what does it mean to "render" the video and what does rendering do to the video that has been created?

Thanks,

Kameron

Quote Originally Posted by Kameron View Post
    what does it mean to "render" the video and . .
    Rendering (computer graphics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Quote Originally Posted by Kameron View Post
    . . .. what does rendering do to the video that has been created?
    In simple terms it serves-up, delivers, surrenders a finished item that can be displayed on the device you intend.

So, for archiving I might want to "render" to a format that is mostly lossless and/or easy to do further editing to, so I would choose either an uncompressed format to "render" to, or use the Vegas AVI format to "render" to. If I wanted to deliver my finished work on a DVD I would "render" in MPEG2 and AC-3 ready to burin via an authoriing package - like SONY DVDA5.0 - and then burn the DVD. If I wanted to show off my work on My NOKIA phone then I would use - externally to Vegas - a 3gp "render" format to produce a 3gp file for my NOKIA. If I wanted to show a client my work on my DivX MP4 player, I would use the DivX - they call it! - "Convertor". The point being here is that I would choose to "render" to a WMV format if I was wanting to do some futher editing. People do it - I know - but that's not for me. Unless, of course, I was doing a training video and wanted to explain the pos and cons of USING a WMV as an intermim editing format. OR I was wanting a WMV "look"!

Mostly a "render" is a one-way street. It is to produce a finished video to be used on a specific device. You cannot play a VEG (Vegas) file on a DVD player ( ), niether a SVMSP - you HAVE to "render" to something to get it into a state that will be transferable. Also without a "render" of a complex piece, it wont play at full speed. We can do "RAM Preview Builds" in Vegas, which is a kind of internal render; we can also produce pre-renders that show us our work at full frame rate and we can produce render to New track renders. But all of these are also delivering a finished or interim render that is now a completed form of the finished product. Meaning, you don't or shouldn't "see" the joins, and your PC or device, shouldn't burp/belch or fart over something it is having a problem with. Rendering is the only true way to see full frame rate of all the good stuff you have created: FXs; colour Grading; transistions and any PC intensive activity that WONT show you full frame rate.

The final point here is that Vegas, in ALL its various flavours/versions is NON-destructive to the underlying material. This does not hold true when one renders-down pork fat, from a side of streaky bacon!!

Good question!

Grazie