Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bees in the hood.

Blog Entries

Default Bees in the hood.

Right place, right time.

A swarm of bees arrived opposite my house.

First I rushed out with my PC4 for the first part, befor the cut to black.

Then a beekeeper arrived (after next door pohned him and told me he was coming), and I was ready with my JVC.

Maybe this fim is an example of why you shouldnt obesess about your camera and instead worry about content?

Going from crappy hand held to pro isnt night and day if the content is good. On second thoughts it's a good example of why you need many cameras. I could never have shot the first bit with a huge cam and the macro shots in the second part would have been much less impressive iwth the PC4.

I have not done any colour / curve pulling work on any of the shots to show how the cams look so different. The macro shots in the second part have been sharpened lots - on a poor camera this can just cause artifacts but it works well on the bees shot with the big cam.

Shots of the bee man are underexposed - operator error, my zebra was set to 80% and I was anxoius not to blow out the white of his outfit. Left it looking flat in post cos i like the contrast to the vibrant bee shots.

http://www.zaskarfilms.com/bee1.wmv (best stream)

YouTube - Bees in the hood.

Blog Entries

Okay, there is a big difference between the stuff shot on your pro camcorder and your consumer'corder but , once it's been compressed on youtube, I didn't think that it was a blinding shock. The quality of your PC4 was more than adequate and it was only when the JVC stuff appeared that we noticed the lower consumer quality. The big difference I noticed was that the stuff shot with the shoulder-cam was much steadier than those from the palmcorder.

The exposure as a bit dark in places but if you've got a bloke in a white suite fumbling in the shadows of a bushy hedge, you can't expect to keep the highlights AND the shadow detail. In this case I suspect that the shadows could be lightened in post, however once a digital is overexposed, the detail is lost for ever, so the right decision, in my opinion.

The second half was nicely edited, giving a short story and interesting information. I'm surprised how well the on-camera mic picked up the sound.

The bottom line is that some footage, even if it's from a mobile phone, is better than no footage.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 07-06-2008 at 04:37 PM.

Blog Entries

Glad you approved of the editing in the second part - worked hard on that.

As for the mic - bot the camera mic but that 416 (on cam) you know so well. The jvc camera mic is just appalling.

Undertones of Hitchcock's 'The Birds'. Nice one Mark, you'll never cease to amaze me

hello Mark

had a good look at the bee video, much talk about bees as there is a huge problem in the US looming....no problem in OZ as yet..

but lets talk video..

on youtube its almost impossable to pick a good / bad camera, I watched the video via my subscribers list before coming to these forums, but it did have a rushed feel to it, not bad, as bees do make you feel on edge..

for me the bee keeper needed more shots, and little quotes, maybe more of a chop up between the two, and that elusive queen...the bee keeper I believe is the content in the video, i have a little saying...faces are more interesting than places..and places include bees..!
    the bees are the first act, the keeper the second, and the third act was a elusive queen...a difficult video considering the content and surprise..

but you have it, and its done.

at least it looks like a wonderful summers day.

just about what looks good on youtube with video, and here i will say contrast is king, get the contrast going, make the blacks really black, add a little chroma, and it takes away that washed out look so easily achieved..greens and water seem to suffer the most on the tube..

cheers, well done..

Blog Entries

Thanks - thae washed out shots do look bland I agree, too bland...

The choices in the edit were small as I didnt relly get mucg great video, but in hindsight I wish I had been more pushy. I dont generally intervie people as I am not good at it - as you can heaer from all my grunts behind camera.

No you tube hq option as yet, and even my 1.5mbit stream does spoil the camera differneces.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shiner View Post
    Undertones of Hitchcock's 'The Birds'. Nice one Mark, you'll never cease to amaze me
    Felt like that too.
    Amaze? - thanks!

Mark I forgot to add.

If you put the name of the bee problem as a keyword in youtube it may help with spreading the video..

its called, Colony Collapse Disorder

here is a old BBC article on the problem

BBC NEWS | Americas | Vanishing bees threaten US crops

Blog Entries

Knowing that "Bees aren't interested in humans" doesn't alter the fact that they may sting and the stings hurt - at best - at worst can kill (given the right allergies/sensitivities).
    Maybe not as courageous as going into some of the areas Guru's been, but extremely brave of you all the same. The things we do (or some of us do) in the name of art!

One thing I liked at the beginning was the mystery created by the out of focus shot and the bees slowly coming into (half) focus accompanied by the increasingly clearer sound of bees buzzing.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Glad you liked the first shot. I wish I had shot that with the good camera cos the slomo (ramps up for the walk over and down to .25 for the bees).

As for the search, going on the results of my other recent addition to you tube, bum therapy, well - 'dildo' gets you the hits I think...

As for getting stung, was sort of hoping i would get stung - good video! - but as the bee man did I didnt feel obliged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast