Thread: want your film footage edited for free on final cut pro?

Default want your film footage edited for free on final cut pro?

Just joing my new forum and as a professional editor I'll edit any footage you need for free. Just send and i'll send it back edited.

Editing Online :: Index

Hope to see you there and take part in the forums.

Most of the people on this forum are video editors already with more and more taking the plunge everyday. So why would I want to send video off to someone I didn't know, video I had possibly spent months working on, to get edited? I've used Final Cut Pro and at the end of the day it's just another piece of software.

Blog Entries

Plugging a forum about video editing on an established forum about, er, video editing is a bit cheeky and frankly unlikely to be productive.

^^ To be fair - he is offering it for free - I think he's probably a keen editor who just lacks footage to edit, and wants to built up his portfolio - no harm in that! I did exactly the same and now its my job!

just think hes worded the post abit wrong by promoting a forum.

Blog Entries

^^^^ You are much nicer then me !

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    ^^^^ You are much nicer then me !
    I can feel another poll coming on!!!

Anyone who's got even a basic NLE can edit their own videos for... surprise, surprise FREE. They also have complete control over it and helping someone to build up a portfolio, are we running a charity shop or what? We all have to go out and buy expensive equipment and fight for jobs and here's someone who is 'looking' for us to hand over our work in the hope he/she won't hang onto a copy and put their own name on it. Sure that doesn't happen in the real world.

^^^^Nikosony

Your forgetting that not everybody who is good at 'making films' are good at all aspects of film making - you may get a great camera man/ cinematographer /director/producer etc who is not very good at editing or the creativity/visualising that comes with it. To suggest that this guy is 'stealing' it to take credit is ridiculous! - He would just get credit for the editing - because that's what he would have done.
    You seem to contradict yourself - because to me it looks like you are suggesting that the editing is the most important part of the film making process (I get this impression because you seem so against others editing your frottage), and yet you state that final cut is 'just another NLE' and anyone could do it - Yes I agree that FC is just another NLE but I don't think anyone could do it (at least not a good job). I take your point about 'having complete control' over it, but this guy whose offering to edit for free could work with somebody who may not be a hardcore editor to bring their ideas to life (providing he is capable!).
    It's my view that it happens exactly like that in the real world - Thelma Schumacher doesn't 'steal' Martin Scorsese's work - she works with him because Scorsee is a better story teller/creator etc and she is the better editor... I think peoples non-willingness to part with their own footage based on their views that the editor is 'stealing' credit undermines the importance of everyone's else's job in the film making process.

Just my opinion - but all you have to do is look on the credits of a good film and you'll find the editor is often mentioned way after the director/producer/cinematographer/sound design etc etc - which I think goes against the idea which I think your getting at - that the editor is the be-all and end-all.

Blog Entries

Well I will leave you two to get a room, but I would add that a good editor commands similar rates to a good director - the two often work very closely together with each persons role very dependant on decisions the other makes.

My reservations with the thread includes copyright issues but mainly competance questions.

' send me your footage and I will send it back edited ' - this appears to show a complete lack of the creative straining and angst involved in good editing.

'... edited on FCP..' - And? ? This just makes me think the guy hasnt got the first clue about good editing. Any mook can learn to use a decent program by reading the manual - that does not make you an editor any more than buying a few paintbrushes and oil paints makes you a painter.

Shoot me down in flames but the free offer is just a schill to let the geezer plug his pointless board (as in we are an editors board.

And as for professional - well if he was a professional editor I am not sure he would be offering to work for free.