Help please choosing a cheap camcorder. Days of research and I am really confused now!
Ideally, I liked the Canon HF100 (£550) and HG10 (£500). However, I have been told they cost too much (fiancée)! So started looking at the Panasonic HDC-SD9 (£400) or maybe FS100?
Then again, reading some of the posts here, maybe I want a mini dv or something and to dismiss DH as a novelty? Are they re-recordable, can you still edit on the PC?
My fiancées rationale is that her dads old tape camcorder produces good quality video with all the house lights on! I think she would like to spend about £250-350. If this were not going to happen, I would need a strong case of reasons to spend more!
Any suggestions & advice much needed please!
- Recording holidays & 6month old son (indoors & out)
- Recording Kendo fights (martial arts)
Simple/Easy use for girlfriend (I am more technical);
- Easy Point and shoot ability
- Easy Minimum Fuss so no tapes or DVDs?
- Easy Importing video from Camera to Laptop to edit
- Easy Viewing & editing video on laptop (1gig ram, 1.8 chip)
- Easy to Burn data to DVD for playing on regular DVD player (for family)
- Easy Direct play into Standard Def Plasma 42 inch for playback from camera (no HDMI)
- Utilise my PlayStation 3 (Memory cards, USB connector?)
Questions & Dilemmas:
- Future proof? High def or not, even if I only use standard def now. As I know my comp could not edit the footage currently
- Will standard def played on standard 42-inch plasma look ok?
- Is flash no moving parts really significant benefit over HDD?
- Shoudl I really be looking at tapes/mini dvds etc
- Should I try to stretch budget (to HF100 or HG10 or similar) now or upgrade in 2-3 years time?
- We have a Panasonic SD still camera so might be best keeping to the SD mem format if flash s the way forward?
Please help with suggestions/advice