Thread: a novice seeks advice

Default a novice seeks advice

My name is James Silverman and I've never edited a video in my life. I don't even own any video editing software, so I apologise in advance if I'm in the wrong place.

Any way, I would like to know how easy it would be for someone to collect a series of clips from youtube, put them into a montage and then put a soundtrack to it, for distribution on youtube. It would be in a similar style to when you see things such as "the 25 greatest knock-outs" or "15 funniest guys falling of a skateboard" collections that seem to be quite popular.

The idea is to put a song that I wish to promote to some topical, funny images and see if it catches on. Is this the sort of thing that requires clearance for the clips, or does its presence on youtube mean its carte blanche for people to mess about with it?

Any way, apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place.

If anyone has any advice or wishes to help (please?) I'd be very grateful to hear from you.

Many thanks

Western Europe

Let me see if I've got this correct, you want to 'borrow' 25 clips of other peoples work off YouTube and put a music track to it yourself? I wouldn't advise it unless you get clearance from all 25 individuals as they have probably spent a considerable amount of time and effort getting their work onto YouTube.

If they then see their work cobbled together somewhere else on YouTube with your name on it, they might get slightly angry. And your idea has been done numerous times before so there is nothing new in it. If you want to promote a song (one you've written yourself I presume?) then create your own video to go with it. It will save you a lot of hassle in the long term.

I agree with everything Nikosony says, and also can't figure why you posted in 'Cinematography'. Perhaps a mod can move this post