Thread: Idoit proof HD editing software

Default Idoit proof HD editing software

I would if you good folks could offer a friend of mine some advice.

My friend is about to become a first time father and is looking to capture all the exciting times you associate with babies filling nappies and throwing up on you. Anyway, he has pretty much decided on buying the Panasonic HDC-SD5, good reviews, ease of use etc.

The stumbling block is what nice and easy editing software package to go with this. My suggestion of Elements is no good as it doesn’t support HD.

So, easy to use HD compatible, editing recommendations please.

Many thanks in advance.

Being a realitively newbie myself I've tried seeral of the more popular editing programs: Sony Vegas, Pinnacle Studio, Adobe Premiere, Power Director And Corel ULead 11 Plus.

I found Power Director to be the easiest to work with, but less than stellar quality in the end product (DVD).

The one that fit into my pea brain and gave nice DVD's was Corel ULead Studio 11 Plus. It may lack a few tools when doing some advanced editing, but works well for most everything I'm presently doing (underwater video). At least till I learn more of what I'm doing a few years down the road. So this is the one I would recommend.

Do a little more looking if you wish. Most all these programs are available in 30 day trial trial versions from their respective websites.

If ULead is the choice then you can purchase Stdio 11.5 Plus from Corel's website or Amazon for $60. A real bargain, if you ask me.

Something to pay attention to and maybe research some more is the computer requirements to download any of these and just what is required to edit and burn HD video. It takes a ton of computer to do HD---like 12G of hard drive to store 1 hour of HD video.

Hope this helps.

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

Check out trials as suggest above - Digital Video Editing Guides: Digital Director - links

As for disc space, HDV files are actually a bit smaller than standard def DV - both are around 12 gig an hour.

This is one of the reasons I am yet to considor hdv. More pixels, less data than dv, when we need more data for more pxiels - I had best stop I feel another rant coming on.