Thread: Sony Movie Studio Platinum Edition

Default Sony Movie Studio Platinum Edition

Hello Everyone,

I'm a new member here with some questions. I purchased the Sony Movie Studio Platinum Edition for my HP Pavilion computer. I'm running Windows Vista on my computer.

So far I'm a bit dissappointed. I launch the Sony Movie Studio program and when it comes up, I put a DVD that I burned of raw footage using my Panasonic DVD burner into my computer and I try to import the video so I can begin to edit it utilizing the Sony Movie Studio. What happens is it only imports fifteen seconds of the video, which the thumbnail is shown at the bottom of the screen. I then double click that thumbnail to bring it up to a video track up closer to the center of the screen.

The video is brought up to the appropriete track. I see two thumbnails in the video track. First is of the very first frame of the video, and the second is of the very last frame of the video. I play the video, but only fifteen seconds of it plays. Yet, if I pause the curser before the fifteen seconds is up, I can see the preview screen at the lower right hand corner show a frame which is at a point within the video that is after this fifteen seconds. What could be the cause of this and how could I correct this issue? The fifteen seconds only shows just that, fifteen seconds of the begining of the video, yet the very last thumbnail on that track shows the very last frame of the video, which in this case is about 5 and a half minutes in length.

Another question I have is, how can I delete a frame without causing a blank space to remain in the place of the deleted frame?

Lastly is there a way were I can pause the video, copy the still frame as a jpeg? I want to pause a video and take a picture so to speek of the frame and turn it into a photo where I could either print it off on photo quality paper or simply keep it on the computer as a jpeg.

Thanks for any help that you can give me on these questions and I will spend the rest of the evening doing a search on this forum to see if any of these issues/questions/problems have been discussed before.

Kameron
    Last edited by Kameron; 07-02-2008 at 04:13 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kameron View Post
    I launch the Sony Movie Studio program and when it comes up, I put a DVD that I burned of raw footage using my Panasonic DVD burner into my computer and I try to import the video so I can begin to edit it utilizing the Sony Movie Studio.
    OK, first things first.
    What sort of file is on this DVD? Is this a DATA DVD - ie a DVD created on a computer for reading on a computer, and if so what format is the file on it (what type of avi / mpg / mov etc)?
    Or is it a VIDEO DVD (ie a DVD which can be played in a domestic DVD player)?
    Tim

The DVD is the type that can be played in any standard DVD player. The files when I do an explore when putting it in my computer are VOB files. The files look sort of like this: ste_Bc_VOB1

Thanks,

Kameron

The DVD is the type that can be played in any standard DVD player.
    As from VMS PLAT 6 you have been able to DIRECTLY import video from a DVD "camcorder disc". Now I've done this WITH VegasPro8 and what I do is plop the DVD into the DVD/CD drive > File > Import and pick off the DVD Camcorder disc. It should be similar to your VMS PLAT.

What version-number of Platinum are you using?

Grazie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    File > Import and pick off the DVD Camcorder disc.
    Exactly the point of my question - thanks for picking up the thread Grazie.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    As from VMS PLAT 6 you have been able to DIRECTLY import video from a DVD "camcorder disc". Now I've done this WITH VegasPro8 and what I do is plop the DVD into the DVD/CD drive > File > Import and pick off the DVD Camcorder disc. It should be similar to your VMS PLAT.

What version-number of Platinum are you using?

Grazie
    I've been looking on the disk and on the box and it does not have a version number, simply Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Edition only. Perhaps it could be the first addition. The only number I get is the copywrite which on this item is 2007.

I'm starting to think that my problem with this specific video that I'm trying to import onto this program has a problem cause I had dubbed music when I loaded it into my DVD burner. I plugged the raw video footage into the DVD burner's RCA jack from a VHS and then plugged a cd player into the audio RCA jack into the DVD burner. I then had the video with music. What I'm starting to think is that a signal was sent with the audio for copywrite protection and when the Vegas Movie Studio software detects that copywrite protection signal, it cuts off the video download. Would that sound like it could be the issue?

My other big question is how can I delete specific frames of a video and if I can delete them, how can I do so without leaving a blank space within the video where the deleted frame was?

Thanks,

Kameron

I've been looking on the disk and on the box and it does not have a version number, simply Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Edition only. Perhaps it could be the first addition. The only number I get is the copywrite which on this item is 2007.
    Open VMSP and on the Toolbar click:

Help > "About Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum"

. . and read off the info there. You will get the VMSP Version plus the release iteration and the Build number.

HTH

Grazie

I got the 8.0 version, figured it out when I was installing the DVD architech studio. Thanks Grazie for the file>import instruction, it worked when I imported like that. I was doing it a few other ways that are available but they didn't work.

I'll do some research on this form next to find out how to burn edited movies onto DVD in a format/file that can be downloaded to youtube. If you have any information about that, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks again, very happy that I can now import video into this editing software that I had burned onto a DVD using another poice of equipment previously.

Kameron