Thread: No video with .avi files

Default No video with .avi files

I am sure this has been answered here before, but I cannot find it with the search function.

I am using Vegas 6.0d and it suddenly will not recognize the video in .avi files. I can easily convert them in Windows Movie Maker, but this is not something I have had to do in the past. I do have the Morgan Multimedia Codec installed and I thought this was supposed to take care of this.

Has something gone fluky in my Vegas program? Or maybe with me?

Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Slrman View Post
    I am using Vegas 6.0d and it suddenly will not recognize the video in .avi files.
    Previously were the SAME avi files being recognised by V6d?

I do have the Morgan Multimedia Codec installed and I thought this was supposed to take care of this.
    I have no idea what this OR what iot is supposed to do - sorry?

Thought: Did your problems start when you installed this "Morgan Multimedia Codec"?

Has something gone fluky in my Vegas program? Or maybe with me?
    LOL!! - Only you or a paid professional can answer the second part . . . As to Vegas throwing a "wobbly" - I wouldn't know. However, as with all things CODEC, download and install G-Spot - it's free - and it will diagnose just what is INSIDE media. Once you have done this find a file that you CAN open in Vegas or DID know that openned in Vegas and run a G-Spot session compariing this to the one you can't open. If there is a difference then, potentially, there is your answer. If there ISN'T a difference then, potentially, the fault lies elsewhere.

I never like these situations, it can be a real pain to nail down. What I have read is that CODECS get to try and "grab" attention from each other, and once the kids start to fight . . well . .

So, see if G-Spot reveals anything you didn't already know.

All you and I know is that Vegas6d works well and, depending on the CODEC set, imports AVIs very well. My other thought is that maybe the AVI - being only a "wrapper" may in fact be hiding something odd like an MP layer that Vegas will NOT open? Yes? And the other thing was when DID your problems start: pre- or post- installation of the Morgan Multimedia Codec ?

Nasty . . ..

HTH . .

Grazie

Grazie, you make some good points. I do have Gspot and by testiung some working avi files against the non-working ones I seem to have a problem only with ones with the XVID codec. I have been using my video capture program, Guncam, for a couple of years with the Divx codec. As you said the Xvid and Divx codecs do not seem to be playing nicely together.

The thing is, I do not remember ever installing the Xvid codec and cannot find it, either with the control panel Add/Remove Programs or directly in the Program Files folder.

I do think I am on the right track and will do a search for this. Guncam does have the option of exporting via Xvid, but I don't use it. So Hmmmm?

So thanks for the feedback.

Quick update and a happy ending. I did a search with Windows explorer and deleted all the xvid files and now everything seems to be working OK. Even the files that would not work earlier are now behaving themselves.

Thanks for the help and I will contact Growler Software and inform them of the problem. I'm not sure they can do anything about it, but I think it's something they would like to know.

YEah . .. sounds like CODEC Wars again . . .

Glad to be of assistance.

Grazie