Thread: JVC Everio DigiCam & Share Station

Default JVC Everio DigiCam & Share Station

Hi everyone. I am new here and seeking some help.

I have a JVC Everio GZ-MG37AA 30Gb HDD Camcorder. (video files are .MOD) No problems editing once they are re-named with .Mpeg

Will be going on a month long vacation in September and to alleviate the possibility of using up the HDD before the trip ends I purchased a JVC Everio Share Station CU-VD3 with a view to burning video files to DVD every few days.

Problem is the share station only burns a full movie of all the files that I wish to copy. When I place the burnt DVD into my PC it's a full movie that auto plays in Windows Media Center.

The burning options I get from the cam are "All", "Event" and "Date"......

So when I explore the disc on my PC after burning by date, all videos within a date become 1 file with the extension .VOB which are not recognised by my video editing software. I use Ulead Video Studio 11. Have also tried them with no luck in Adobe Premiere.

I have also tried renaming the files to .Mpg/Mpeg. And whilst the files then become recognisable they are unuseable as they stutter and dont play properly.

So my questions are this:

1. Is there anything I can do to make these .VOB files editable? and

2. If not is there another storage option for our holiday? Dragging a laptop around is not something we want to do as we have a number of flights with severe luggage limitations.

Hope I have explained this well enough

Thanks heaps

Western Europe

To change your .vob files to .avi which is a more easily editable video file format download AVIDEMUX_2.4.1._Win32. It will allow you to import .vob files and on the main screen on the left are a few drop down menus where you can choose the output file format. Choose Video Tab -> DV (lavc) Audio Tab -> WAV PCM Shift -> 0 Format -> AVI. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Have downloaded and installed Avidemux 2.4.1 and for output under the video tab I have the following options:

Video>Decoder Options
    >Post Processing
    >Display Output
    >Frame Rate
    >Encoder and

Or is it on the left under "Format" that I have to choose AVI which has 4 variations

AVI, dual audio
    AVI, pack VOP
    AVI, unpack VOP

Thanks again

Western Europe

It's the dropdown menus on the left of the main screen where you can see the following...

Video Tab -> DV (lavc)

Audio Tab -> WAV PCM

Shift -> 0

Format -> AVI.

You should have more options than the ones you list. Under the Video dropdown menu I have 19 options, under the Audio dropdown menu I have 10 options and under Format dropdown menu I have 13 options.
    Last edited by Nikosony; 06-30-2008 at 08:58 PM.

Thanks for your patience. This is what happens when I try to convert a file.

I open the .VOB video file in Avidemux and it says "this looks like MPEG, do you want to index it?" I choose "yes" as choosing "no" doesnt not work, says "cant open".

From here I choose out put details as you describe:

DV (lavc)
    Shift is left as "0" (have tried both checked and unchecked).

Then I save to desktop. The file I am left with is 2.95Gb (original file size 957Mb) and I have to rename the file .AVI. When I play the saved file it has no audio.

Not sure if there is anything I am doing wrong.

Thanks again

Western Europe

You need to rename the .vob file to .mpg first (keep the prefix) before you open it in AVIDEMUX and try the procedure again.
    Last edited by Nikosony; 07-01-2008 at 12:48 PM.