Thread: Help for a relative newbie filmmaker

Default Help for a relative newbie filmmaker

Hey there guys, 1st post so if I do anything wrong please do correct me!

Here goes -

Since taking a media course at college I have become very interested with the film making side of the course. I have had some great ideas in the past for short films, trailers, and opening scenes, but up until now I have not had the money to indulge in a much wanted hobby, due to financial issues.

I have lately been reading up about ameteur film making, and the cameras, hardware and software associated with it. I have set aside a budget of 2,000 GBP to fund this venture, however, this will include a camera, editing software and a machine to run it on.

I have heard that 24p is the best film making "setting" for a cinemalistic feel and style, although I do realise that a good editing program can work wonders.

Due to this reason, this is the "budget" camera that I have been looking at, readily available on the consumer market.

CAMERA -

Canon HV30. This seems to be available for around the 600 GBP mark, but I will also need a tripod if possible. Obviously this records in hd as well as 24p, but its main use would be 24p. I had initially looked at the sony SR12e, but upon reading reviews and technical specs, the camera does not seem to offer a 24p recording mode and seems worthless for what I would like to achieve.

HARDWARE -

My first thought and most strongest feeling is a new iMac. I know that they are overpriced compared to a PC, but I also have a strong interest in music production and technology and due to most higher education establishments using logic pro, the IMac is my gut instinct. I can get the mac cheaper on an educational scheme (by about 50 pounds) and would buy Logic Studio Pro upon purchasing. (if anyone would like to direct me to a place of where to buy a mac cheaper than directly from apple, please do so! )

SOFTWARE -

This is one area where I am not so wise in. If I went down the IMac route, the most obvious option is final cut express. I would go for final cut pro, but at 800 odd quid I most certainly cannot afford it. If I were to go for a pc (unlikely at the moment, but you are welcome to attempt to change my mind) I assume that either vegas or pinnacle would be the editing software(s) to go for? Are either of these two compatible with an iMac, or are they strictly PC only?

Well, that's pretty much it. What I would like is your opinions on what to go for, given my budget which is stretched to it's limit already, or if you are of the opinion that my current choices are wise, then please feel free to give me more information.

I apologize for the extremely long post and Look forward to reading all of your replies.

Keep filming!

No help for a newbie? maybe I posted in the wrong forum.....

Are you in the UK? Because if so you want to be shooting in 25fps not 24. I would recommed you choose a camera because if its' lens quality and light levels which affects the quality of the final image. In terms of editing software, you don't need to go all out on an iMac to be a pro. I'm running Adobe CS3 master suite on my Vista laptop and have had no problems. I think the Adobe suite offers far more flexibility in terms of Photoshop, After Effects, Soundbooth & Premiere Pro's intergration.
    www.nothingissound.co.uk // http://www.youtube.com/user/truebassist

Sony DSR-PDX10 // Sony Wide Angle Conversion Lens 0.7x // Sony ECM-NV1 // RØDE NTG-1 // Dolly [coming soon]

Adobe CS4 Master Suite // MacBook Pro Alu 2.4Ghz

cheers for the reply.

Yes, sorry I did mean 25p, after some research both imovie 08 and final cut express 4 will process/edit it fine.

I am leaning more towards an imac due to logic pro, as my colleg euses it and its leading class software for most music universities

Sounds good then...great that you know your way around the mac already which will play a big factor in the organisational structure of editing in final cut. If you are serious about editing then you will need to go with final cut as (even though imovie 08 is a nice tool) it won't provide you with everything you need.

Are you still leaning towards the Canon HV30?
    www.nothingissound.co.uk // http://www.youtube.com/user/truebassist

Sony DSR-PDX10 // Sony Wide Angle Conversion Lens 0.7x // Sony ECM-NV1 // RØDE NTG-1 // Dolly [coming soon]

Adobe CS4 Master Suite // MacBook Pro Alu 2.4Ghz