Thread: Making a normal DVD from a Mini DVD

Default Making a normal DVD from a Mini DVD

Hi there,

I have been asked to make a regular DVD from a mini DVD recorded on a DVD camera and am having problems finding anything to read and/or convert the files on the mini DVD.

The mini DVD has a file in the root called:

.Sys-Reserved-RW-Bitmap.GROW which is 8KB

and two folders called:

DVD_RTAV
    RTR_EXTN

The DVD_RTAV folder contains three files thus:

VR_MANGR.BUP which is 128KB
    VR_MANGR.IFO which is 128KB
    VR_MOVIE.VRO which is 1,366,368 KB

The RTR_EXTN folder contains two files thus:

RX.DAT which is 1,334 KB
    VR_STDUM.000 which is 0KB

It looks to me that the VR_MOVIE.VRO file is the one with the video on it but I cannot read it with anything.

I have got Premiere Elements Version 3 and Premiere Pro CS3 on an XP machine.

If anyone can help I would much appreciate it.

regards

Brian

This may not work but have you tried copying VR_MOVIE.VRO which is 1,366,368 KB to your hard disk and then renaming it with a .mpg extension? I don't know if that is just the video file and the other file is audio RX.DAT which is 1,334 KB, so you may need to copy both across if the first file plays without audio. If you can then successfully get the renamed file to play you need to convert it to a .avi file which both of your video editing apps will work with. Download Virtual Dub 1.7.7 and see if that will allow you to import the mpg file and let you export it as .avi or if that doesn't work download AVIDEMUX_2.4.1._Win32 and see if that works.

If AVIDEMUX_2.4.1._Win32 is successful then on the left side of the screen use the following settings:-

Video Tab -> DV (lavc)
    Audio Tab -> Wav PCM
    Shift -> 0
    Format -> AVI

Thanks for that Nikosony,

I'll give your ideas a try and let you know how I get on.

regards

Brian

I am not the sharpest tool in this toolbox of ideas but in my experience changing the file extension from it's format to something different will not transcode the file. It takes a transcode utility to change a file from one type to another.

I have had a lot of luck with a free utility available via download called mediacoder. I have come across a LOT of different video files in unheard of formats with a LOT of different codecs and etc. and mediacoder has never failed to transcode them from their existing/native file format to whatever I wanted them to become. Like I found online a old movie that was not going to be released on DVD in the states and it was some weird highly compressed file format of about 1.2meg and mediacoder transcoded easily into a 3.5gig mpeg2 file ready to be opened a dvd authoring program for chapter menu addition before I burned it as a dvd (.vob).

So - one - download mediacoder and try it out - usually just a simple one step transcode ONCE you figure out the relatively simple user interface and there are several good online forums and FAQ locations - heck, even I could figure it all out. Hint - first open your file in mediacoder and a window will tell you EVERYTHING about your file. Then open Extensions dropdown menu and select like mpeg2 ntsc or pal if you are in EU and click on start and it should take it from there to completion.

Second, just transfer your file from the mini-disc to your harddrive and then try to open it in one of the newer video editing programs. For example, ULead Video Studio will recognize your file dvd format and ask you if you want it transcoded for editing as mpeg2 or whatever you select.

Please post any questions or if I confused - sorry - ask any questions.
    Jim
    Last edited by imjay; 07-28-2008 at 06:11 PM.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for that, I'll give that software a try. However, you may be interested to know that Nikosony's idea did in fact work, I just chaged the file extension to mpg and low and behold I had a readable file.

I'll keep your idea for any future problems though, thanks,

regards

Brian