Thread: Pause video with text overlay

Question Pause video with text overlay

(i bet there is a really easy way to do this isnt there)

i want to pause a clip while putting text on top. ive managed to get the text on top of it, but the video still moves in the background. bascaily i want the video to go along, stop with the text overlayed for a second or two, and then continue again. im using Sony Vegas 8 and im a newbie. dont lol @ me to hard please

For mid-Event, momentary suspension of action like this, I'd insert a Velocity Envelope into the video Event and HOLD the action using POINTS on the Envelope for the duration I wanted and then further EXTEND the end of the Event to make sure I hadn't lost any action.

Grazie

Default Thank you

that is exactly what i wanted. but the audio keeps playing at the same speed, and i want that to stop too. i
    probably
    should
    have
    said that before, but i assumed they would go together.

Question: What is the audio you got that accompanies the video? Music? Commentary?

Default Audio track

i imported video from a dvd. so its the audio that came with that.

Quote Originally Posted by peely-peel View Post
    i imported video from a dvd. so its the audio that came with that.
    . . .yeah . . oookaaay . . .. but B4 we get into the HOW, answer me this: If you hold up the Video, for any length of time, WHAT would do you want to happen to the audio? Silence? A held note . ? .or what?

Grazie

Oh, sorry, i must have read your question wrong. i want the audio to stop, for the same length of time as the video is stopped, and then start again when the video starts. so they stay in sync.

Quote Originally Posted by peely-peel View Post
    i want the audio to stop, for the same length of time as the video is stopped
    Ah! Now we are getting somewhere . . no worries . .

So the AUDIO portion is to remain, as you say, "stopped", and that AFTER this period the video and audio should come back in sync - good! In which case a GAP is created of say 2 seconds - yes?

OK, 2 ways I can think of achieving this:

A] Still: Substituting Video Gap with a STILL of the video action thus far.

. .or . .

B] Subclip: Substituting the Video event with a Subclip and disengaing the LOOPING of the Subclip and then extending the Subclip to FILL the Gap with the action stopped at that point.

In the example you give, both work very well.

Grazie

Thanks for your help, but I cant get either to work quite right. but while playing around with the loop button, I found the group button, particularly the "un-group" button. so i ungroupted the audio form teh video, and i could cut and move the audio to where i wanted it to start again.

Again thanks alot for your help