Affordable / Expandable / Comprehensive
I'm another pesky newbie, desperately hoping that someone will shove me in the right direction. No doubt the "Please help me!" mantra wears on the nerves of some video veterans, but you are truly our only hope! Thank you in advance for your patience and graciousness.
I recently purchased a new Dell system. Haven't set it up yet. Want to start out on the right foot. I've worked with WMM a bit, but hope to move into "deeper water".
First, I hope to transfer our 'historical burden' of VHS home video footage to digital format. After that, I'd like to edit and create more polished versions of these 'video gems'. I also want to get creative with our photos and audio files. Ultimately, I hope to capture, edit, and combine photos, audio, and video files into creative personal masterpieces. (I'm sure you get the picture.) Once I've honed my techniques, using the raw material my family has provided, I want to move into the professional realm. (No lack of ambition here!) I'm not naive. I imagine this will take a few weeks... or, even a month or two.
After reading through some of the massive quantity of useful posts, I'm thinking that I should purchase software that will integrate well, and allow for my growth as a multimedia maven. Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy everything at once. To the grossly untrained eye, it seems that Adobe products may be well suited to my wildly unrealistic aspirations, but I'd greatly appreciate your input.
Basics regarding my system...
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 (2.66 GHz : 12 MB cache) processor
- 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800 MHz-4X1GB
- 500 GB SATA HD (7200 RPM) Hard Drive
- 512 MB NVIDIA 8800 GT video card
- Blu-Ray Optical Drive
- Vista Home Premium
- Is this system adequate for beginning my multimedia journey?
- Are there components that I need to change, or add?
- The system has a firewire port. Do I need to add a firewire card?
- Will I need a peripheral to connect my VHS player to the computer?
- Would it be good to establish a seperate forum for newbie stuff?
"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." - Oscar Wilde