Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capture via USB?

Default Capture via USB?

I dont have firewire, or S-VIDEO leads for my cam, the only one it came with was a USB lead..

Whats the best capture program to capture video from my cam via USB? At the moment the only program i can find is Windows Movie Maker, because Pinnicle Studio 8 and Premiere Pro 7 (and Premiere 6.0) say nothing is connected to the comp, is that because theyre looking for S-Video or Firewire connections?

Anyway, what im after is a program that captures good quality video from my cam via the USB connection..

And, is it worth buying a firewire or S-Video lead(s)?

Blog Entries

I think I'm correct in saying that if you're using a USB connection, you'll have to install the relevant software that came with your camcorder before you can capture using any app. Hopefully someone will correct me on this

USB connection would be slow though and the quality might not be there when you transfer. This goes for USB 2.0 as well I think.
    I only have USB 1.1 and that definitely sucks lol

usb2.0 CAN work as well as firewire. whether the camera/software's any good while using it, i dunno...

u said usb 2.0 can work as well as firewire...thats encouraging, because i have a laptop and it doesn't have a firewire port, but i would really like to capture high-quality video. does anyone have any information on which capturing software would be able to capture high quality video with usb 2.0? thanks

(sorry for posting again)

i have movie maker, but movie maker (although great for being free) doesn't capture quite to my satisfaction. i do have the usb driver and everything.

Blog Entries

I think it's more the fact that when capturing from a DV cam via firewire, all you're doing is transferring a stream of data. The DV AVI codec then acts as a "wrapper" for the video so that windows can play it.

When capturing through USB, the data is transfered and encoded to a suitable format as the transfer rate of USB doesn't allow for the flow of DV data/it's from an anlogue source - even if theoretically a USB 2.0 conection is a fast as as firewire!

So really it's not that it's not capable, just that I don't think any cam takes advantage of it Could be wrong

ooo thank you now i get it. but is there any way i could get at least vhs-quality video? as of now the capture quality is lower than even that.

Blog Entries

What's your PC's specs?

2.6 gig, new comp so plenty of disc space, laptop (if that changes anything?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast