Thread: Sony recording problem

Default Sony recording problem

Hello all,

I have just attempted to put a tape full of video of my young family on my computer .However there is a thick grey band running down the left edge of the screen all the way through and no sound.

The grey band fills about 1/8th of the screen and the edge is like the way paper looks if it is pulled out of a ring binder(i hope that makes sense!).

The rest of the screen looks fine.
    I suspect that i will lose all this footage but i wonder if anyone knows if this was a tape problem(brand new TDK) or what else could cause it?

I just tried another tape and trialled a few minutes.This worked fine but i obviously want to be confident that this was a one off , as i don't want anymore memories ruined.

I have a sony DCR-HC19E which i have had for around 2 years and is very lightly used.

Thank you for reading this and hopefully someone can help.

regards

Steve

I haven't come across a grey band running down the side of a mini dv tape yet so I'm at a loss as to what it is. Does it stay there all the way through the entire tape? When you play back the video on a tv you lose an area all the way around the picture so you may not see it on tv, and the part of the picture you can see will look alright. As for there being no sound, how did you connect the camcorder to the computer was it using a Firewire connection? Here's a thought, does your camcorder shoot in 16:9 widescreen mode or just in 4:3 normal mode? Lift the flap covering the tape and check to see if the tape edge is ragged or the tape surface has any marks or scratches on it.

Thank you for the really quick reply!!

The tape had around 20 minutes of footage from various days and was affected the same way all the way through.

Here is a link to a photo of it:

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/9582/dsc06563wi5.jpg

(sorry about the picture quality,it was the best i could do quickly !)

I forwarded the tape on a bit and did a 20 second test which worked fine.
    I have'nt changed any settings and the only thing i have changed since the faulty footage is that a new (fully charged) battery is now being used.

Surely a battery could'nt cause this issue would it?
    I looked at the tape and can see no marks on it.

I have tried to look at the footage in power director/movie maker and ulead but only movie maker shows it on screen and none of them will capture it.

They all play/capture other tapes from the same camcorder with no problems though.

I am so wary of using this camcorder now as i really don't want to lose out on memories.

Hopefully we can find out what has caused the problem (i have emailed sony today as well)

Thank you again for your quick reply/help

steve

That grey strip running down the side is the first time I've seen that, it doesn't look like a tape problem. It looks like there is something wrong with your camcorder, it will be interesting to see what Sony make of it. If they do offer an explanation the cost to get it fixed may be near the price of a new camcorder, so you may end up having to purchase a new camcorder instead.

Thanks Niko?

I really have only used the camcorder on a few occasions(a few minutes at a time catching funny things my kids do).
    If it is broken after such little use then i will be seriously annoyed.It was only today i emailed sony so i will post here any reply i receive.

does anyone else have any idea what the problem may be?

Blog Entries

I agree, looks like a random camera fault - may never happen again or it might spoil something else.

I am sure you are not doing /done anythnig that can cause that.

If you can try the tape on a second machine that will confirm tape or camera problem.

if you pause the tape do you get a good picture? if so then perhaps the machine or mechanism is at fault. Assuming the still is OK then try playing in slow motion and then speeding back up in the edit program at least you have picture if no sound.

Blog Entries

Hit It Hit It ! ! !