Thread: can I HIDE frames but SHOW waveforms ?

Question can I HIDE frames but SHOW waveforms ?

Vegas can turn on/off frames+waveform display on events, but I need to show only the waveform (either hiding the video frames completely, or only showing beginning + end frames). Anyone know how to do this?

I found the "hold shift then click preferences" trick to get the extra 'internal' options, and it seemed like it'd be the answer - but it won't let you set "Draw Video Frames" to FALSE. "Draw End Frames Only" set to TRUE doesn't seem to make any difference!

I want to do this to speed up timeline zooming while playback/editing + am interested in using vegas for live video playback, so I can fade nicely between clips.

Quote Originally Posted by cupsta View Post
    I want to do this to speed up timeline zooming while playback/editing + am interested in using vegas for live video playback, so I can fade nicely between clips.
    OK, explain really slowly exactly WHAT it is you want to achieve?

1] "I want . . . to speed up timline zooming . . " OK? You have a problem with this at the moment? How? Explain please?

. .and then . . .

2] " . . using vegas for live video playback, so I can fade nicely between clips." Now I really don't understand? Sorry . .

You want to remove the Video frames 'cos it takes time to view BUT you want to also make video fades to show some form of real time option? If I have got you correct, I find these 2 "wishes" opposing each other and confusing.

I could suggest you reduce the size of the Video track real small. But then you wouldn't know exactly what you were editing. So that wouldn't be helpful .. maybe? But then again, you DO say you could live with the first or last frame. So what is it you are really after?

Apologies for being dense here,

Grazie

Blog Entries

Cupsta - you thinking of using vegas for VJing? - if os it really isnt the tool for the job.

. . as in:

Scratch Scratch . . . dubb dubb . . . Scratch Scratch . . . dubb dubb

Right! Got it!!! - Thanks for shedding some possble light on the subject !

I'd have made more sense if I hadn't tried to explain

Vegas plays my source files and crossfades fine in realtime, but if I zoom the timeline or drop a file onto the timeline the decoding of the event frames causes playback stutters. This is annoying while editing, and obviously useless for live playback. I want to see the waveform as this is usually what I'm referring to; video frames aren't necessary, I can see the filenames and that's enough.

Scrolling the timeline window vertically to hide the video track solves it ... until you drop a new file on the audio track - doing this doesn't add the video.

Making the video track small is worse, as it then displays more frames in the same space!

No - not VJing, just for straight playback of videos but allowing a nice AV crossfade instead of hard start/stop playlists in say Winamp or other media players. I know Vegas isn't designed for this use, but it's damn good at it and I like having a timeline and being able to trim clips shorter while they're playing.

Ta for the thoughts so far, any ideas to achieve this? I'm suprised Vegas lumps both together.

. . . but allowing a nice AV crossfade instead of hard start/stop playlists in say Winamp or other media players. I know Vegas isn't designed for this use, but it's damn good at it and I like having a timeline and being able to trim clips shorter while they're playing.

Ta for the thoughts so far, any ideas to achieve this? I'm surprised Vegas lumps both together.
    1] My Possible Understanding: You want to edit on the "move"? You want to do be able to get "nearer" to the feel of your work? Is THAT it??

2] My Further Misunderstanding:

i] "Vegas isn't designed for this use, but it's damn good at it " Eh?! What is it damn good at doing? Tell me??

and . . .

ii] Your last sentence: "I'm suprised Vegas lumps both together, . . . " I have absolutely NO idea what it is you mean? Lumps WHAT together? What are the elements/items Vegas is lumping???

I'm trying to understand - honest!

Grazie

1. No - Let's simplify this back to my question. I want to stop Vegas displaying and/or processing the video frames that are shown on the timeline events BUT still show the (pre)processed audio waveforms on the timeline. (I'm suspecting it isn't possible - but wanted to ask here in case there's a trick I've not come across)

2. "for straight playback of videos". As in playing a video file from beginning to end and outputting to video-out, like you'd do with say Windows Media Player. Vegas is damn good at it, best realtime engine in any NLE I've used.

3. "Lumps together" - I mean the option 'View/Waveforms and Frames'. As explained above I want the ability to toggle them individually.

Ta for trying to understand what I'm trying to do

Angry

Did you ever figure this out? I understand your question and can't figure it out myself. No pop-up menu or anything. I run into the same bloody problems you do with frame render. You'd think it would be an option when you right click. It looks cool, but it keeps me from doing my work. As a programmer myself it reminds me of a book I recently read "Why Software Sucks" (written for us programming types). The main reason it sucks is programmers like myself (wink wink nod nod) don't consider their users they just think "wow that's cool" "I like that feature so will the customer..." bollocks.

1. No - Let's simplify this back to my question. I want to stop Vegas displaying and/or processing the video frames that are shown on the timeline events BUT still show the (pre)processed audio waveforms on the timeline. (I'm suspecting it isn't possible - but wanted to ask here in case there's a trick I've not come across)

2. "for straight playback of videos". As in playing a video file from beginning to end and outputting to video-out, like you'd do with say Windows Media Player. Vegas is damn good at it, best realtime engine in any NLE I've used.

3. "Lumps together" - I mean the option 'View/Waveforms and Frames'. As explained above I want the ability to toggle them individually.

Ta for trying to understand what I'm trying to do

No, sadly it doesn't seem to be possible. Maybe in the next version!