Thread: Indie Filmmakers Forum

Default Indie Filmmakers Forum

So I've been thinking... there aren't really any entry-level forums/sites for people who like to direct and produce films. There are plenty out there, sure, but most are too hardcore for the casual film fan who also likes to make movies with their friends.

I figured I'd start one, but I'd need help. I would need help getting ideas together and setting it up, getting people interested and getting them to register, I also need criticism on what I already have, and any help you can give. I don't really want to advertise the site, per se, because technically I wouldn't consider the site "open", as I still have a ton to do, but still.

I think having some more talented (aka you guys) and experienced filmmakers there would be good for the people who are just getting used to Youtube. I think they could use the guidance and maybe get some good contacts. It would also help convince some people to get even deeper involved in the process of filmmaking beyond messing around with his friends and then in iMovie for 10 minutes.

The link is www.digitalvideoandfilm.co.nr. Register, check it out, whatever. Again, I just need a lot of help with the whole thing, so even if you don't have the time to register and contribute directly, criticism would be helpful.

Thanks,
    -Brandon

I think it's a good idea but what you are talking about has already been done by forums such as this one and others so you will really be up against established operators. Also trying to lure members of this forum onto your own hoping they will provide 'guidance and maybe get some good contacts' for free isn't going to happen. In other words you will have to pay them.

No, this isn't the kind of forum I'm talking about. This forum in particular would turn away most casual, entry-level moviemakers. There's a lot of jargon as well as plenty of deep, hardcore discussion. I'm thinking of a lower-level site for people just beginning or just interested in video in general.

Also, why would I pay anyone to join my forum? I don't want to force anyone to. Did anyone pay you to join this forum? I'm not saying come to my forum and make all my users better at filmmaking, but to just be an all-around helpful person.

So you're looking for people who have been in the business for years and earn a living from it, to come onto your forum and give out advice and supply a list of contacts in either the tv or movie industry for free? Please spare me the holier than thou lecture, 'but to just be an all-around helpful person', how long will you be able to run a forum without getting money from somewhere to keep it going?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    So you're looking for people who have been in the business for years and earn a living from it, to come onto your forum and give out advice and supply a list of contacts in either the tv or movie industry for free? Please spare me the holier than thou lecture, 'but to just be an all-around helpful person', how long will you be able to run a forum without getting money from somewhere to keep it going?
    I think you misunderstand what I'm trying to get across. I'm not asking anyone to "give out advice". But just giving your opinion on matters and posting in topics can be helpful. I'm not asking anyone to give out a list of contacts, but it could be a possibility. Also, I have a job.

I mean, really, I understand the whole concept of realism, but with that kind of attitude, I can't imagine a forum growing.

I wish you luck in your endeavours.

Blog Entries

I am afraid I have to echo what Nikosony says - arent we already that forum ? ?

I suspect I dont completely grok your vision.

As for people jinhing a forum they will join if it provides a forum that they value, ther is no 'getting people to join'

How would your forum provide somethin new? Wade about on here and you find pleany of discussions on a wide range of subjects to do with film.

Lots of us direct and produce films, some as autuers and a significant proportion as professionals for a living .

Seems to me we have done the job, havent we ?

Oh and as for not advertising the site - you just did, cant remember the exact figures but we get 100,000 unique visits a month....

I am afraid I have to echo what Nikosony says - arent we already that forum ? ?
    No, this isn't for the casual moviemaker. This forum is for the hardcore filmmakers and people who do it for a living. I'm talking about something for Youtube users or around that level.

As for people jinhing a forum they will join if it provides a forum that they value, ther is no 'getting people to join'
    Then let me rephrase that - I need help telling others about the value of my forum.

Oh and as for not advertising the site - you just did, cant remember the exact figures but we get 100,000 unique visits a month....
    No, not really. I didn't ask anyone to join. More or less, I asked for help.

I wish you luck in your endeavours.
    Thanks. Wish you could help, though. :/

Thumbs up

don't use the .co.nr get a .com. Otherwise I really like the idea!