Thread: wedding clip

Default wedding clip

Hi,

Some comments on this clip would be appreciated.

http://www.derienzo-videoproductions.../naomiclip.wmv

Thank you.

GDR

Blog Entries

Very nice. I felt the the second 'part' of the video (after the ceremony) was notably better in terms of editing and camera work. Probably simply because there was much more going on that's interesting.

Personally I wasn't keen on the use of Black and White through out. It was just too much of a contrast to the vibrancy of the colour and didn't add anything. Again, personal preference, but the shine effect looked dated and somewhat out of place.

I know it's 'the done thing' to frame on the bride's 'paraphernalia', but this makes the video seem poorly shot and edited. Some of the shots put in to show the tiara, shoes, and dress detail perhaps should have been left on the cutting room floor. There are other ways of showing the bride's kit, for example by a photographer once arranged the bride's shoes an boquet which I then filmed to use as a cut away towards the start. I wouldn't use such close ups unless the B&G asked for them. Simiraly, I assume the close up of the uninterested woman during the ceremony was the mother of the bride? I'd consider losing it: a) she looks miserable as sin and b) it's prettty much the only close up of the congregation you had.

Just my thoughts!

Hi Mark, great, always good to hear others views. Have used the different shots you describe on many occasions, just not here!

She does look rather grumpy but I was feeling grumpy, so its staying in

The close ups is part of my style and for me adds variety, I guess clients see this and book, or not, on what they see.

Thanks for your input. always appreciated.

GDR

Blog Entries

Have you had feedback from the clients yet?

Hi Mark, clients are literally ecstatic with the finished film, although this is just a re-edit fo web! and I appreciate never a really true reflection on the finished article.

So far no clients have ever come back and complained about close ups!

I personally like it, but whats great is how we all see things differently.

I like putting my work up for review, as for me all critism is good and only serves to keep us all on our toes

Cheers.
    GDR

Blog Entries

Nice but...

First the plusses for me.

You can edit techically very well and work of this quality puts you way ahead of the pack, but the pack is generally rubbish and as you know we can be a picky lot on here. There are also many examples of technical shots done well. Nice tracking shots. Nicely composed shots. Loved the zoom in with radial blur at the end.

Now where it didnt gel for me.

Artistically it was a bit of a mish mash of show off shots and editing - looked a bit like a good showreel.

Focus puuling - nicely done but over used.
    Off horizontal filming - this mean 'scary' or 'something bad is going to happen' - not appropriate I would argue.
    Use of b/w - totally random. B/w by convention evokes the past. Broke the narrative flow totally.
    Cutting - too fast. Watching without the music makes me think of 2 unlimited or some other techno classic.

So for me it was technically an excellent piece of work but artisically it was wrong.

The main thing is the people who paid loved it. But you are clearly very skillfully technically but artistically it was a mish mash.

I am being hyper picky cos I think this is good, but with the skills you have and with a little less showing off and more thought it could be great. Think of the whole and less of the parts perhaps.

On a different note, you may soon be helping me out with some wedding vids - looks like I may have some worked farmed out to me from a busy wedding vidder who needs some editing done - lol - than we shall see if I can walk the walk too! God it will be dull but he is offering good mney and I need KIT !

Mark.
    Last edited by Mark W; 06-22-2008 at 09:41 AM.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your time and input, and very kind compliments if I can add. I am actually less confident in my work then even you give me credit for! so much to learn, i always take note of these kind of comments. You have provided we with much to think of, all very helpful and I am grateful for that.

Sometimes we all need to take a step back from our edits and come back later to see if it still works! I agree the beginning is a bit lame!

Thank you again

Blog Entries

Be more confident - you are good - maybe just stop trying so hard to impress....