Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ulead quality problems

Default Ulead quality problems

OK, I hope someone out there can make heads or tails of this.
    I am using a Sony DCR-PC104E cam. But i am using it as a slave, just a recording device. I have a bullet camera connected via the A/V input.
    Once i have my video and connect it to the PC i have used Firewire and USB and both give me the same problem when using Ulead the quality of the finished product is CRAP! I've tried burning VCD, DVD, MPEG1, MPEG2
    but i cant get an honest finished product. Would it be because i'm going in the cam with an analog signal and coming out of the cam through the DV out. I'm thinking i might need a Analog capture card and connect to the PC via the A/V output. Any thoughts and hints would be appreciated.[/b]

Hmmmm? Why don't you just use the AV-In functionality of your camera to record (to mini DV instead of pass through). Then capture from the Mini-DV via firewire. Doing it this way you will be able to check on the cam if the quality problem is with the bullet camera.

In Video Studio check that your capture settings are set correctly to capture in DV Type 1 Format.

If quality is still poor, then try derag of your hard disks.

Hope that is of some use.
    COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

PJ

I do go into the A/V and when I come home and connect it to the PC, I have tried DV and USB to capture what i have taped, But to no avail.
    I have since had a analog capture card installed and capturing through the A/V out and it is perfect.

Thankyou.

I also use a bullet cam and attach to my camcorder's AV/in and record to miniDV and then capture to the PC through the Firewire port. Never had any image quality problems at all with that set up.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Default Settings and specs

Sorry 4 it taking so long to reply.

Are you able to tell me the specs of your bullet camerand what capture settings you use .

Well, it's a Sony High Res 480TVL Bullet Cam. It connects directly to the camcorder (well I have a wireless connection too but it all amounts to the same thing). For all intents and purposes though it's no different to capturing from footage recorded through the camcorder's own lens.

I don't have to set up any capture settings, it's all handled by the firewire interface and editing application.

Remember that the video caught with the bullet cam is going over composite, also if you don't have a hi res version too then the quality will be standard vhs, which is never great.

What does footage which is captured directly from the camcorder (i.e. without the bullet cam) look like after you have edited it? Is the quality noticeably different?
    Lloyd

Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Thanks for the info, I tried what you said and there is a noticable difference, I will have to get a Hi Res Camera. With your wireless connection, do you loose any quality and what are the specs on your transmitter and receiver?

Thanks again.

Regards
    From Downunder.

Difficult to answer the second question as I have yet to use the wireless bit. They sent me the wireless bit but forget to include the additional battery pack I ordered. Took me a while to getting it sorted out and haven't been out with it since I got the bat pack.

However, I use the one rated for the UK (max range of around 450 ft). You can purchase a higher power one with a range of over 1km but this is illegal in the UK and some parts of Europe (not the US though I think).

I used the bullet cam for quite a while with good results (main camcorder in a rucksack on my back). The only problem is that the 2.9mm lens is a bit too widescreen and there is a noticeable fisheye effect and vignetting. The lenses though are interchangeable on the one I got so I will likely purchase a less wide-angle lens too.
    Lloyd

Blog Entries

Straying off-topic, but do you have any videos with said 'bullet cam' (excellent bane) to share?

Lloyd

Did you get your Camera from RF Concepts, How many pixels does it have and what brand chip does it use?

I have found the Sony chip works best, I have a panasonic, a Sharp and a Sony.

I am waiting on a Sony 1/3" 480tvl 410K Hi Res Camera to be delivered.

I found a company that makes a MPEG2 video recorder that fits in the palm of your hand and uses MicroMV tapes, I thought GREAT until I found out the cost, why doesnt someone make a cheap recorder, I would love to have a video camera in 3 bits, Camera, view finder and recorder.
    I might have to buy a second hand one and do some experiments.

What do you use your setup for?

Regards
    John.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast