Thread: Broadband providers

Default Broadband providers

I know this is not a video topic but I suppose with more and more of us uploading videos onto either this forum or other video sharing websites, the two are linked. Anyway, I'm changing my broadband provider in August and I was wondering should I go for wireless (little receiver attached to the side of the house), DSL (through the phone line) or Satellite?

There is no cable provider where I live at present so it will have to be one of those. What service have you got, is wireless better than DSL or is DSL better than wireless, did it deliver the quoted speeds and what was the customer service like from the company you got your broadband from? Any help to avoid the pitfalls of getting a reasonable service would be much appreciated.

Blog Entries

I am no expert but my impression is that wireless can be flaky, sat too and usually has crap upload. As for dsl - got to a isp site and on many you can check what spped they can provide by your postcode. My friend on bt dsl consistently gets 8 meg.

I use cable ( 20 /1 ) so i cant really be very specific.

Thanks for the info Mark, it's always good to get an unbiased view of what's available. The reason why I'm asking so early is because some of the companies can take up to four weeks to change you over from one provider to another, so I'll have to start looking in July.

I agree with you about the wireless, if some guy in a clapped out old banger goes past the house it seems to generate noise that can affect the radio signal. So I'm leaning towards DSL at the moment (I see it comes in a few flavours aswell). I guess I'll have to do a bit more research and I've been looking at that contention ratio thingummyjig, I got one down as low as 24:1 which I thought was quite good, I suppose the lower the better or does it really matter?

Blog Entries

I miss spoke = by 20 / 1 I was meaning 20mbit down and 1mbit up - I dont understand all that contetion thingy.

That's a good speed for cable, but I'll have to go with what's available here at the moment. A few of the cable companies have 'promised' to get broadband to us, but I'm not holding my breath waiting on them. Apparently this contention ratio means how many other people you are sharing a connection with, so for 24:1 there might be 23 other users at maximum using the connection at the same time as you.

Blog Entries

There are so many factors affecting speed that I am not sure the contention ratio is such a big deal.

My service is 'up to 20' and I dont think contention is a factor for me - every time i b mark the speed I get 12 to 13 locally and 8 to 10 from across the pond - I am happy with that.

Check out the isp for throttling - I hear rumours that virgin throttle things like the bbc's Iplayer, and torrents and some other stremaing services.

It's a minefield tbh and personal recommendsation is probably worth the best guide. That and a good clean telephone line for asdl.