Thread: Buying a Canon XHA1

Default Buying a Canon XHA1

Hi everyone, im at aa university in the england and I have just started up a studenrt TV Station here, (ie loads of students grab a camera film everything that happens around the uni, edit it on Avid Media Composer and distribute on the web, and large flat screens dotted around the campuses. I have been given a small budget for start up equipment and im looking at the canon XHA1, its about £2000, I have seen it a lot cheaper from online stores based in America, but if I was to purchase it from there would I need to pay for any extras? Would I need to convert it from PAL to NTSC or is there an option for that on the camera itself?

Any ideas of helpful hints would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

tt

If you're buying a camera from the US then it will record in NTSC (24fps) while the standard over here is PAL (25fps) so I would not buy it unless you can change that setting. You don't really want to be having to worry about frame rate conversions along with the editing as well.
    www.nothingissound.co.uk // http://www.youtube.com/user/truebassist

Sony DSR-PDX10 // Sony Wide Angle Conversion Lens 0.7x // Sony ECM-NV1 // RØDE NTG-1 // Dolly [coming soon]

Adobe CS4 Master Suite // MacBook Pro Alu 2.4Ghz

You have 2 options, one is to buy a PAL Canon XHA1 in the states, the other option is there is a canon upgrade available which gives the option of NTSC and PAL. If I recall correctly this was about $600 (300 quid), but note that warranties when you buy in the ststes are not like what you get in the UK

Blog Entries

Indeed - I wouldnt dream of buying such an expemsive and friable item from abroad - too many faliure points and NTSC? Never the same colour twcie....