Thread: Drugs

Blog Entries

Default Drugs

I shot and edited this in 2004 and was never happy with the original version.

I spent yesterday reediting it - new start and end and cut cut cut cut !

The originla was 17 mins, now it is 7 - and much better for it I think.

http://www.zaskarfilms.com/Films/drugsedit3.wmv ( latest version posted 19 / 06 - ending changed )
    YouTube - Drugs

original long version if people intersted in comparing.

http://www.zaskarfilms.com/Films/drugsvp.wmv

The shot at the end inspired the whole film - the film is built around that shot - it was so powerful I wanted to use it in a contrasty in your face make you think kind of way.
    I think rhianna did a great job - I asked her to dress and act like a childrens tv presenter to give me that contrast I wanted.

Feedback much appreciated as a grat deal of work and thought went into this. I also wonder about the ethics of the last shot? ? ? ?
    Last edited by Mark W; 06-19-2008 at 08:13 PM.

I watched both versions.
    Though the first was considerably longer I got a sense of kind "getting to know" each interview-ee, (to a small degree) which I kinda liked. For example the woman who worked in a hospital - by knowing that piece of information it made me firstly identify with her (used to be a nurse) and then understand where her opinions were coming from - ie the medicinal use of cannibis.
    I also liked the joking around between Rhianna and those punk looking teenagers who thought drugs were good or "cool".
    I'm so glad you left in the part where the man said drugs, burgulary, but not killing children, should be legalised. (that part made me laugh out loud.)

In some ways by editing it it has made it much more concise and to the point, but has almost taken away the casual relaxed vibe of the interviews?
    BTW Rhianna did a fantastic job. It's obvious she made people comfortable enough in front of the camera and microphone to be able to be able to express their views.

By flicking back and forth between the black and white old film footage and the "today" stuff was interesting to me (might have gotten a tad monotonous were the whole thing just interviews on the street) and also highlighted (to me) the ever continuing problem that society faces with drug use.

When you said in your post you were questioning the ethical aspect of the last shot I was really hoping it wasn't going to end on Rhianna eventually finding where to get drugs and doing something like smoking a joint for the last shot.
    Thankfully good taste didn't take you in that direction.

I AM confused about the last shot though....I guess because you questioned it?
    Because the girls face is somewhat blurred at the end I couldn't make out if she was Rhianna ACTING the part....or whether this was a real heroin addict.
    I hope that doesn't sound silly, but I really couldn't make out the details of her face and replayed it a couple of time to try and see.
    Regardless, no...Why would it be ethically questionable?
    THAT is the reality. Drugs cause people to abandon all of their own ethics and morals and cause them to DO things out of desperation because the drug becomes the master and them- the slave.

I guess there are SO many ways in which to approach this subject.
    Your approach is very different in that you have been able to project the feeling, through the black and white clips, of this being a ever prevailing problem for generations of time, as well as using the "real people with real opinions" aspect.

If it were ME...I think because my opinions are SO strong in being anti drugs that I would have been tempted to project very strong images - needles in the gutter - prostitutes in Kings Cross - interviewing shop owners in seedy areas who are constantly being robbed by drug addicts, patients in mental wards permanently damaged by drugs etc...
    Mine would not be a very balanced view I think.
    Somehow you have keep your film balanced enough without exerting a real overpowering "opinion"....if you know what I mean?
    More objective than emotive?

I thought both versions were very well done.

Blog Entries

Thaks so much for all the above tracy.

I am going to change the end after your and some other comments.

It needs to be clearer that it IS a real shot at the end, and Ithink the text needs changing and splitting to a bit at start and a bit at the end.

I am very pleased that you saw the reason for the old footage. It was also there to add 'comedy' to lull the audience into a state where the final shot really hits home. I think the message needs to be made more implicit to - new text will do this.

You didnt comment negatively so i am assuming the silence worked - not something i have used befor like that.

Tnanks again.

Blog Entries

Just posted a new version with a different ending - done with it now.

5. Default

Ya, the newer version was definitaly the better edit. In the original, you kept editing in the question she was asking, which was unnecassary, and also you saw the pauses before she asked the questions. Besides that it was good.
    Newer edit for the win.

Blog Entries

Thanks....