Thread: Sony Z1 - recording bright colours problem

Default Sony Z1 - recording bright colours problem

Hi,

I have just shot some SD footage of a funfair with a HVR-Z1E and am not happy with the results.
    The problem is, the picture looks quite murky and the colourful bright lights don't look as good as my eyes saw it. It looked poor when I was on the shoot as well.
    I am used to getting good results from the Z1 so am not sure what is wrong.

Does it not react well to bright colourful lights? Is there an alternative camera that would do it MUCH better?

Blog Entries

AFAIK - that camera is considored just about faultless.

Can you post an uncorrected still from the vidoe?

I dont want to comment further without seeing exactly what you mean.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Here's some stills.

I guess what I'm doing at the moment to achieve what I want is increasing saturation. Is this something that's normal? Does this happen all the time or are things shot right instead of fixing later? How much post colour correcting happens in the professional world?

Blog Entries

Shooting stuff like that can throw many cameras. Very bright bits and very dark bits, fast motion, flashing lights.

What I think is happening is that the cam was in full auto and is doing the best it can with white bal and exposure but failing to give you the look you want.

The cam has chosen to set exposure on the very safe saide so the brightest things are not saturated, so the bulbs look lovely but the dimmer light they cast is supressed, and the auto wb may make the colours look odd.

Stuff like this must be shot in manual so you can set the exposure to where you want it.

As for colour work - yes it is common for lots of work to be done in post, but only do it to get just the look you want, not cos you think you have to. I often bum up the highhs to give more impact if approprite to the look of hte film i am working on,

Thanks for the response.

The camera was in full manual. When I wasn't so safe with the exposure it wasn't making the colours brighter as such, just more white.

Having increased saturation in Avid, I am more happy with the results. Just wondering is this the way to do things?

So to boost saturation for a film about funfairs would be something that would usually be done?

Blog Entries

Ah - sorry - thought it was a nauto prob - I would still they it l;ooks inder expsoed.

I will go see if i have shot any fair footage and how it cane out (cranks up old archive drives)

Blog Entries

I remember when i edited this I pulled the curves - you cna see the sky is burned out - it wasnt really dark - twillight. Pulling the curves does increase the saturation too.

Cant find the original footage - it was deffo shot on all auto as I remember I uaeed my crappy small sony pc4 to shoot this and I always use it on full auto.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

I looked at your pics again - they look too red to me and underexposed.