Thread: Tape re-wind.

1. Default Tape re-wind.

Is there a machine on the market I could use purely to rewind mini DV tapes. I know there used to be the same for the old VHS tapes. I am using Sony FX1E with mini HDV tapes and I have experienced 'errors' when rewinding my tapes prior to editing. I have looked on this and other forums and it appears to be common on this camera so I'm looking to eliminate the re-wind fast /forward etc. and hopefully prolong the use of the camera.

Blog Entries

You can indeed buy DV tape decks, but they'll set you back around 1,000. The recommded solution is to buy a cheap cam from ebay with a working motor...

I have a Hama Mini DV 6mm tape rewinder and it's great for preventing wear and tear on the camcorder. Some of the details about it are, the model number is 43047, it fast forwards and rewinds, has an auto stop sensor and you can either power it using batteries (useful if you are out on location) or from an AC/DC power supply (sold separately). It's been ages since I was last on Hama's website, so I don't know if they still sell it but have a look and see. The Hama mains adaptor has an item number of 46591 if that is any use to you.

Blog Entries

Oops, yes, does help if I read the question! Tape rewinder, not deck!

Blog Entries

" I am using Sony FX1E with mini HDV tapes and I have experienced 'errors' when rewinding my tapes prior to editing "

This sounds like paranoid gossip to me. ANY camera that expiriences 'errors' because a tape is rewound is clearly FAULTY nad should be replaced.

It is not acceptable for such an expensive camera to have foibles like this and like I said I bet it is just ocd sufferers obessesing - if your does not have these 'errors' i really wouldnt worry.

Drop outs do occaionally occur, once per hour is par for the course for dv, perhaps more for hdv (guessing) cos of the long long gops - not sure.

6. Default

The error is as follows: On inserting a tape the message "please re-insert tape appears on the LCD screen showing an error number , which just escapes me at the moment. This has only happened a couple of times but always when I am inserting tape after tape for editing. On researching this on the net I found that I was not the only one experiencing this
    problem with this model of camera. Apparently it is the tape slipping off the guides? Various remedies from giving it a thump to having serviced by Sony were offered.
    I am taking the approach, because I have two of these cameras, that prevention is better than cure.

Blog Entries

Give it a thump - my chosen 'soloution' for amny rpobalems but with cameras I find it counterproductive ! ! ! !

Persoanlly if I had a cmera that did that and it was in garuntee I would insist on a replacement -or - if it was rare and cleared when the tape was reinsterted I wouldnt be too concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Give it a thump - my chosen 'soloution' for amny rpobalems but with cameras I find it counterproductive ! ! ! !

Persoanlly if I had a cmera that did that and it was in garuntee I would insist on a replacement -or - if it was rare and cleared when the tape was reinsterted I wouldnt be too concerned.
    i agree on both counts. I have the same camera. never had that problem and would consider it 'broken' if I did see that. Let Sony service it and sort out the kinks for you. Maybe the heads need realigning.

As to 'thumping'. I gave Mark some gip once. one thump and I never gave him any more problems so his solution does work. but then again, his propensity to 'thump' is maybe one of the biggest reasons why I was voted a nice person than Mark in one of our most competitively fought polls here at the forums.....

Blog Entries

Ha - SLANDER - dont be concerned - the last person I thumped, well shoved really, was some mook who tried to grab my camera, and that was ages ago, and he lived - but old vx9000 did finally pass away after the treatment.